An Invitation To Freedom

If there was a list of “church” words that get used out of context I would have to think that the word “repentance” would be right there toward the top. I’m convinced that countless Christians, who have no clue what the word means, love to throw it around. I myself, have unintentionally used it out of context on numerous occasions.

In his wonderful book A Long Obedience in the Same Direction, Eugene Peterson paints a great picture of what repentance is really all about:

Repentance is not an emotion. It is not feeling sorry for your sins. It is a decision. It is deciding that you have been wrong in supposing that you could manage your own life and be your own god; it is deciding that you were wrong in thinking you had, or could get, the strength, education and training to make it on your own; it is deciding that God in Jesus Christ is telling you the truth. Repentance is a realization that what God wants from you and what you want from God are not going to be achieved by doing the same old things, thinking the same old thoughts. Repentance is a decision to follow Jesus Christ and become his pilgrim in the path of peace.

Repentance is the most practical of all words and the most practical of all acts. It is a feet-on-the-ground kind of word.

In my opinion, repentance, is Jesus’ invitation to freedom, joy, and the life He’s designed for you!!

13 Responses to “An Invitation To Freedom”

1. TJ says:

I like these descriptions of repentance. It doesn’t start with how bad or wrong I am; it starts with the grace of God through Jesus. Repentance is a response to that grace. Thanks for that reminder. =)

2. peter says:

I think that repentance is one of the hardest things to accept. So many people have been brainwashed into thinking that they do not deserve it, or shouldn’t receive it. I find that people are more likely to show repentance than receive it.

3. Joanne Viola says:

Love this! Thank you for sharing it!!

4. Ricky Cook says:

I’ve noticed that instant behavior modification is also confused with the word repentance. “The cards aren’t all in yet.” a friend of mine often reminds me as repentance takes a lifetime. So glad for that!

5. Jason Vana says:

I love that description of repentance. It can be easy to believe repentance is simply feeling bad about what we did, but it’s really an action – turning to Him in everything we do.

6. jason says:

Repentance is beutifull!

Its the realization of the goodness of God.

7. Tom Tyndall says:

Glad for Peterson’s still timely words, and I too find repentance (literally “to change your mind or direction”) hard to choose unless I want a better direction. Great words, Pete, and helpful comments.

8. Mitchel says:

Asking questions are really nice thing if you are not understanding
    something fully, except this article presents fastidious understanding yet.

9. Fern says:

Lease equipment – To prevent the huge upfront costs you ‘d face when buying equipment consider a lease. If your balance is reasonably reduced then you can be forking out a significant percentage of the total quantity.

10. I think the admin of this site is truly working hard in support of his website, because here every
    material is quality based information.

11. no adware says:

This piece of writing offers clear idea designed for the new people of blogging, that in fact how to do running
    a blog.