Team Dog Vs Team Cat

gty_dog_cat_ll_1203008_wg

I was once asked in a Q and A on a Sunday morning if I thought “Dogs go to heaven.” I responded by saying, “The real question is do cats go to hell?” To say I hate cats is a bit much. I don’t hate them, but I certainly don’t love them.

If you’re at all observant you’ve picked up on the fact that most people are either dog people or cat people. There’s actually been a study done on the differences between these two groups.

Sam Gosling, a psychologist at the University of Texas in Austin, proved through his study there was significant differences on major personality traits between dog people and cat people.

The results showed that dog people were generally about 15 percent more extroverted and 13 percent more agreeable, both of which dimensions are associated with social orientation. In addition dog people were 11 percent more conscientious than cat people. Conscientiousness involves is a tendency to show self-discipline, to complete tasks and aim for achievement. The trait shows a preference for planned rather than spontaneous behavior.

In comparison cat people were generally about 12 percent more neurotic, however they were also 11 percent more open than dog people. The openness trait involves a general appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas, imagination, curiosity, and variety of experience. People high on openness are more likely to hold unconventional beliefs while people with low scores on openness (dog people) tend to have more conventional, traditional interests.

They also discovered cat owners were one third more likely to live alone than dog owners and twice as likely to live in an apartment. A single woman was the most likely individual to have a cat.

I dug through all of the research presented and came to my own conclusion. Cat owners are 95% more likely to be more weird than dog owners. :) Please don’t send hate mail. I love you cat owners (just not your cats).

So which are you? Team dog or Team Cat?

23 Responses to “Team Dog Vs Team Cat”

1. Kelley says:

We’re “Team Cat AND Dog”. We have a 7 year old cat and a 2 year old dog.
    Though in our house, the cat hates the dog.
    And the dog just whimpers at the cat.

I did have the cat when I was living alone….in an apartment….before my husband and I were married! I am also that creative, curious and imaginative person. And my husband, who the dog tends to “bond” with more than me, is the more extroverted! ha!

In a strange twist: my husband wasn’t all that jazzed about getting a dog. He grew up on a farm and anything with 4 legs lived outside and to have a dog living in the house was new for him. He liked our cat and was happy with that. But when he read a story in the paper about a litter of pups that were abandoned on a hot day on the side of the road, he became interested. As I like to say, the day he met her, he snapped like a cracker (it was her puppy eyes…).

2. vanilla says:

Could we expand this study to examine dog people/cat people vis a vis conservative/liberal dichotomy?

3. Eileen says:

Team Canine! Woof-woof!

4. Lezlie says:

Team cat all the way. And my philosphy on people who hate cats is they know the cat is smarter than they are and just can’t deal with it :) Is it just coincidental that more men than women find themselves on the hate side of cats?

5. I, too, have made an observation about dog owners, and derived the following math formula so it could be expressed in an understandable way:

C ~ 1/T

The size of a pickup truck is inversely proportional to the likelihood that the driver is a cat owner.

Where “C” is the likelihood that the driver is a cat owner (the dependent variable), and T is the truck size (the independent variable). As T increases, C decreases.

6. jason says:

Pete.. I thought it was just a small unwilling insult to our intelligence last Sunday when you said that “it would be easy for you to confuse us.” Now I see your weren’t kiding.. Wow!

7. Laura Anne says:

Well of course cat owners are more likely to be single or living in an apartment. Dogs are much more labour intensive and need more space! You can just let a dog roam free outside all day or night like you can a cat, and cats don’t need walked.

I love dogs, but couldn’t get one as it wouldn’t be fair on the dog to have it shut in a flat all day, and my anti social work hours would make routine of dog walking a bit complicated!

But if cat owners are more open – sounds like they are the kind of people Jesus would hang out with more than the dog owners!! ;)

8. Dionna says:

I’m team cat. I don’t have to watch where I walk in my backyard. :) I, personally, think cat people are more empathetic, compassionate, and sensitive.

But just like it’s a coffee and not hot chocolate world – it seems to be a dog and not cat world. But that’s okay – I guess I just like to go against the grain.

9. karen says:

Love the article – I am a cat person all the way – but don’t sterotype me- if I have a fault it is being too conscientious.

10. ken davis says:

This message moved me deeply. Had there been an old fashioned altar call, I would have come forward. I never realized how much we have in common. To a dog you are family. To a cat you are staff. Never stop proclaiming these life changing truths Pete.

11. Marissa says:

My dog Ellie feels the same way! Ha ha!

12. Donna says:

I like dogs but I love cats always have. Dogs want to be your friend but cats want to be your children. At this time I have six cats all different ages I only went to get one of them all the others just appeared, but I love them all and they love me – they are all very affectionate and met me at the door when I come home from work every night. As of now I am single but two of my grown children still live at home – the cats love them as well but not as much as they love me. I had two long time marriages and raised three children and have two grandbabies that I just adore – but I’ve always had cats and always will.

13. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear.

Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.Regardless, just wanted
    to say fantastic blog!