Sitting Down With A Hero

IMG_4275

Yesterday I got to sit down with one of my childhood heroes, Scott Hamilton. In 1981 Scott went on an unprecedented streak of winning 17 National or World titles including the Gold Medal in 1984. He was the Michael Phelps of my generation. He had that special something on and off the ice that helped launch him to superstar status.

But that’s not why we were talking.

We were talking about his testicular cancer and two brain tumors and a host of other things that have tried to steal his life and joy. Life for Scott post-Olympics has not been easy.

Can’t wait to share the entire conversation with you very soon.

You know my favorite quote from Scott that he shared with me today was “The hardest jump a skater will ever make is the one you take right after you fall.”

That has so many implications for all of us doesn’t it?

Maybe you’ve recently experienced some failure…

in your marriage

at work

with a new idea

in your walk with God.

It’s tempting to want to give up. Stop taking risks.

Your confidence is shot and your doubt is raging.

I think Scott is proof that it’s not what happens to you, but how you deal with it that defines your character. You can let your perceived failure cripple you and render you a despondent blob of flesh.

I won’t pretend to know what your next move is, but I do think you need to move.

Get up and move.

Try again.

Try it differently if you want.

But try.

6 Responses to “Sitting Down With A Hero”

1. Tim Rewa says:

We are so glad for you and Scott, being able to share this with us. God Bless.

2. Jason Adams says:

This fits PERFECTLY with the message being preached this weekend based on Hebrews 6:9-10. I’ll be sharing (and will cite my source). Thanks for the work you do, Pete!!!

3. diane1230 says:

Love these thoughts. Thanks!

4. Krista says:

Scott Hamiton was, and remains to be, one of my favorite skaters. I always loved watching him do those backflips! No matter what, he had this great attitude of keep going, keep trying, and that has reflected through more than just his skating. He’s an inspiration for sure. Can’t wait to hear the rest!!

5. Krista says:

6. growth says:

Are you capable of guide us in your webmaster or perhaps the man whom deals with your website, I must determine it will be possible to certainly be a visitor poster.