Disappearing Time

We’re now headed into what is known as the Holiday Season. It’s almost always a fast paced, hurried, frenzied, time of year. But this year I’m dead set on slowing down and enjoying every minute of it.

Our culture often thinks that busyness is actually a status symbol. It is strange that when people have so much, they are so anxious about not having enough—

to do,

to see,

to own,

to control.

How is it that we have more time saving devices than ever before, but none of us seem to have more time?

Richard Rohr wrote:

Time is exactly what we do not have. What decreases in a culture of affluence is precisely and strangely time— along with wisdom and friendship. These are the very things that the human heart was created for, that the human heart feeds on and lives for. No wonder we are producing so many depressed, unhealthy and even violent people…”

So, I’m going into this Christmas season ready to make some tough decisions. I’m practicing some tough phrases like…

“No thank you.”

“I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to say no.”

“Maybe next year.”

“Not a chance.”

It’s never easy for me to let people down, but there are a lot more important things than trying to make everyone happy (we all know that’s impossible anyway). I’m looking forward to getting to the other side of this Christmas and looking back with less regret than normal.

How are you doing at protecting your time?

13 Responses to “Disappearing Time”

1. dan says:

What great post. Protecting my time is something I’ve been trying harder to do lately after working to the point of exhaustion for the past few weeks.

2. Peter says:

I work hard at it, but I am not in anyway perfect. In fact I think we shouldn’t be self evaluating this one. I think we should be letting our spouses, or kids answer that question. In fact, maybe it would be a good idea to go home today and ask them… “How do you think i am doing at protecting my time.”

Great reminder. Thanks!

3. Colleen Gudge says:

Pete,
    Great post! My church women’s group recently
    struggled with this very subject; never having enough
    time for all our responsibilities. During my devotion time,
    God gave me the proper outlook about “our time”.
    He is the giver of time & when we struggle with ALL the
    stuff we need to do & complain about it, we are
    being ungrateful to God. We should begin our day with
    “This is the day the LORD has made” & be open
    to His will. Thanks again for your helpful &
    encouraging posts!

4. Timothy Drinkwine says:

Good stuff right there. Thanks for the reminder. And… I love what Peter (above) had to say. Maybe I will ask that tough question to my own family. I owe it to them.

5. Margaret says:

always a struggle–trying my best to use it wisely!

6. jason says:

Say what??

I would say, “nice thought” but forget about it your the head pastor of a mega church.

You are supost to be b%#!s to the wall busy this time of year.

Save that perspective for July.

BTW there are alot of people out there that busyness is survival…. brother.

(I see your good intentions in this post, I’m just giving you a hard time.. hope it works out for you.)

• Pete Wilson says:

Busyness is almost always “escape” not “survival”. I’m gonna prove you wrong Jason. No way I”m putting this off to July.

• jason says:

Maybe I chose the wrong word with “survival”. Maybe “since of responsibility, duty:” Your right about “almost always”. I am not trying to be argumentative, I just love discussing different perspectives in relation to deferent lives.. especially with relation to Gods Kingdom thanks for the reply..

7. christopher says:

using the time wisely

8. Jason Vana says:

I used to be much better at protecting my down time and have slacked a bit in the past few months, but I’m picking it back up again, and choosing one night each week where I don’t do anything but spend time relaxing, reading, doing whatever I want.