Pajamas Banned in Public?

I read yesterday that officials in Louisiana are attempting to ban the wearing of pajamas in public. And I was just getting ready to institute a “Pajamas Sunday” at Cross Point.

It seems all of my innovative ideas have been ruled “illegal” as of late. :)

Now, I will confess that I did recently go out in public in my favorite flannel pajamas (a bit more tasteful than the ninja monkey pajamas illustrated above). I was with my family getting ready for the long drive back from Toledo, Ohio. It’s our family tradition that on long road trips we like to wear our pajamas to make what’s otherwise an excruciatingly long road trip a bit more comfortable.

On our way home I decided to visit a local department store that was having a killer sale on Christmas decorations. I can’t verify it, but I did seem to make the visit in said pajamas without any official complaints being made. However, I don’t plan on making this a habit.

Okay, confession time. Do you ever wear your pajamas in public? No need to post pictures, thank you very much.

30 Responses to “Pajamas Banned in Public?”

1. Pam says:

Well yeah! But…my pj’s are usually just sweats in disquise.

2. dan says:

This has actually been a minor point of contention between my wife & I in the past few years. Apparently in the same fashion as the Wilson clan, she’ll wear them if we’re on a long trip in the car, while I’ll typically wear jeans.

3. Brett says:

Absolutely. I’m not afraid to wear pajamas and house shoes to the grocery store.

4. Kevin Cook says:

Yes. We started a tradition in our family a couple of years ago during the Christmas season. All 7 of us pile in the van in our PJ’s and go riding looking at Christmas lights. We always end up at this incredible place in Lebanon that has over 2 million lights on the property that you can drive thru to see them along with a meet up with Santa. While we are out, everyone gets to choose their favorite fast food to eat, so we usually stop about 4 times, one being Subway where I went in to get a couple of subs for the kids. So yes, I was in public in my PJ’s while creating some lasting family memories.

5. Eileen says:

I so wish Pajama Sunday would catch on at my church!!! I have come very close to wearing my jammie pants to small group. I do wear my slippers to the group every week. I figure the rule “what is shared in the group, stays in the group” should apply to what we wear too! ;)

6. Andy Depuy says:

PJ’s Sunday sounds like a lot of fun. PJ’s are comfortable. Go for it of course visitors would be wondering what was happening but it would be a blast

7. Chrisy Ennen says:

I may occasionally drop off or pick my kids up from school (without leaving the van) in my pajama pants and a sweatshirt, but no. I do not go out where people can see me in my pajamas.

There is one exception, if the alarm at the church goes off in the middle of the night, I have been known to meet the police or fire department in my pj’s. :)

8. Here is a fun fact…I don’t remember the country, but pajamas actually comes from a word that means “leg garment.” It just so happens that my jeans are leg garments…I feel they are interchangeable. :-D I’m not a fan of people in nightgowns and “house coats” in the store…but I’ve been known to rock some PJ pants and a T-shirt to Kroger. I typically see several other’s doing the same thing. It’s kinda like being in a special club.

9. Cindy says:

Oh yes – robe too, on really cold days! *blush* I work from home, starting @ aout 6:30 am. Every once in a while, when the kids are up really early with me, I’ll load them – in their pajamas too – into the car, and we head to the local coffee place drive through for my morning coffee, and their ‘pj morning’ donut. They laugh like a couple of whacked-out baboons the whole way there & back (it’s only a few blocks)and feel like they’ve really gotten away with something. Plus they think it’s pretty hilarious I’m in my robe. I consider this a great memory for them. That’s my story & I’m sticking to it!

10. Michelle says:

I have a pair of black pj bottoms that I wear to work on my “unmotivated to work” days…I am wearing them today….and tell the staff they came from the career section of the store to make them believe they are not pj’s. Does this make me a bad person?

11. Mario Galindo says:

one time i was late for pick one of my friends in the airport, and i ran away from my house so fast that i forget to change my clothes… everyone in the airport were watching me and whispering … but anyway i felt fine because i was just in time for my friend…

when she saw me she say: pijamas? realy?…. i have six months in Europe… i want real mexican food!!!! and we are going to go to my favorite restaurant… and you are in pijamas!!! i don’t care mister…. so i guess neither do you

so we went together… where her entire family was… surprise!!!

12. NancyB says:

We can’t even bring ourselves to wear sweatpants in public so that would be a NO on the pajamas!

13. Cheryl Derrick says:

The closest to pajamas I can get in public is sweats. I did see a women this morning at the gas station in her pajamas and the only thing I thought of was how adorable her bunny slippers were and wondered where she got them.

14. Yeah. Those legislators. They tried to ban selling Barbie Dolls in WV because it is bad for girls self-esteem.

My son-in-law ended up on TV in his pajamas. After three days of no electricity during a major snow storm he showed up at Lowe’s to buy one of the last generators available – and so did the local TV crew. Very nice. Pajamas, aviator cap with the ear flaps down and a snuggly coat. We’re still replaying it!

15. All the time…in college. Now I will wear them for early morning or late night dog walks around the apartment complex. But that is it!

16. Beth says:

Ha ha. What dragons they are in Louisiana! Who would ban pajamas??!! Are they considered the uniform of dangerous drivers, or something similar? I mean, on grounds of taste they are mostly quite modest if we are talking about the average two-piece ensemble.

17. Julie R. says:

I think a PJ Sunday is a GREAT IDEA!!!! You could do some really cool advertisements… maybe do it on a Sunday Night… prizes to the kids in the coolest pjs… Adults with the rattiest/oldest robe… your ads could have an acceptable/unacceptable pj clip… special prizes for a “Clampet”-type pair… you know the old fashioned red, one- piece with the back escape hatch…LOL oh Pete, you could have sooo much fun with this… My folk’s church does a Family Movie Night on the last Friday of every month… I’m gonna suggest this to their pastor for that night. How fun would that be??
    I also think this is an idea Jon Acuff could get behind! LOL

18. Adam says:

Guilty. I do not think it is big deal as long as the pj’s are modest.

19. Aaaah no since I don’t wear pajamas. ‘Nuff said. :)

20. Dionna says:

No, I don’t wear pajamas in public. On the rare occasion, I’ll do sweats. But I think that’s it. I like to look my best, if I can.

21. Tracy says:

We had PJ Sunday at church on Cristmas day ;)

22. Jason says:

I forgot to put my pants in the dryer from the washer today and had to wear pajama pants to small group!

23. Jason says:

Not ever…and i mean ever…

24. nike free says:

hi
    It’s a nice post.Thanks for sharing. nike free http://www.freerun-onlineshop.org/

25. hi
    That’s a good post.Thank you for sharing.