Don’t Hate

Well, you guys know how much I love Christmas, but this is early even for me.

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help it. Just hear me out on my reasoning.

Every year when I take the tree down I always wish I had just a few more weeks. I’m never “over it.” And since the anticipation of Christmas is just as good as Christmas to me I thought why not extend the season a bit?

I told one of my friends at church on Sunday and they quickly shot back with, “But what about Thanksgiving?” I told them I’m thankful for Christmas so the best way I can honor Thanksgiving is to get the Christmas tree up as soon as possible.

So what do you think? Too early?

And yes, I’ve got the Christmas tunes playing as well.

Merry Christmas (unless you think it’s too early).

71 Responses to “Don’t Hate”

1. NancyB says:

You’re crazy!!
    I’ll be decorating a little bit earlier this year as we’re hosting cocktails before an annual holiday dinner we go to but that just means BY December 9th instead of my usual weekend before Christmas decorating!

2. To each his own bro. My wife and I actually thought about doing our decorating yesterday. Decided that next Sunday is our deck the halls day… still before Thanksgiving. Merry Christmas (and Happy Thanksgiving)

3. Maureen says:

No way! Not too early! I put mine up yesterday too and have been listening to Christmas music for days now :) And wow! Your tree is gorgeous!!!

4. Andy says:

Christmas needs to be celebrated all the time. The reason I say this is because God gave His Son and we should celebrate His birth all the time and then people would realize that they can except God’s gift 24/7 365 days a year. I was thinking it was to early, until I realized the greatest that was given is given to us anytime we accept Him.

5. I like it. Thought about putting our tree up this weekend while hanging up twinkle lights outside. Yesterday we listened to Pandora’s Christmas Mix during dinner, and watched an old Christmas movie from Netflix with the kids to finish the night. I’d much prefer to have too much Christmas than not enough!

6. Vicky says:

I LIKE! If stores can have Christmas in July we should be able to have it at home as well so, I say go for it. I started putting my stuff out the last week of Oct. Although I will have to say once all the gifts are out from under the tree I am ready to take everything down.

7. liz says:

Beautiful!!!!!! I put up a tree in every room & I started Nov 1st :)

8. Evie Nicole says:

Love it Love it Love it :)

9. dan says:

As the resident Grinch of both my house & the staff at the church where I serve, I would say it is too early.

I used to think that people need to wait until at least December 5th before they put up any decorations, but apparently when I got married my opinion on the matter changed…meaning my wife wants everything up the day after Thanksgiving. At least that’s how it was for the first couple years, not they typically go up a few days before.

10. Pam says:

WAY TO EARLY!!

11. Love it! I have been trying to unpack my apartment as fast as possible so I can start decorating for Christmas. Plus, I’ve had my Spotify “Let’s Merry” playlist rolling since the week before Halloween…not ashamed. :-)

12. It’s not too early for the music or the shopping, but for me it’s a bit early for the decorations. I’ve still got fall-ish decorations out, and I’m typically not ready to give them up until the day after Thanksgiving. THEN I’ll be ready for the tree and all the trimmings.

But Merry Christmas to you, even though it’s a BIT early! :)

13. Corinna says:

it’s been my tradtion to decorate december 1st.. i stick to that.. enjoy one holiday..before enjoying the next…altho… having said that.. Christmas as a Christian is celebrated everyday.. we should never discount Christs birth and only celebrate it once a year.. but everyday..plus easter…i mean without Christs birth..death and ressurection…we dont have life !

I love reading tho everyones views… its all meaningful to each one of us in our own way :)

14. Jeremy Jennette says:

Lol…I feel you. Spread the Christmas cheer, Pete!! And it’s a lot of work putting all the holiday decorations up! happy holidays! ;-)

Ps- thanks for the message last night..just what I needed. Gonna be a great week!!

15. katdish says:

I think it’s great, Pete! Consider this a personal invitation to come to Texas and decorate my entire house. You know, spread that Christmas cheer!

16. Bob Willits says:

Pete, Pete, Pete…

17. Zee says:

I usually start listening to Christmas tunes in September :) So, no, it’s not early.

Besides, who said Jesus really was born on December 25th? (Especially considering that in my country, Christmas is celebrated on January 7th…) :D

He’s not the reason just for a season. He’s always the reason.

18. Kristy says:

It looks beautiful! I always feel the same way and plan to put mine up this weekend! P.S. Awesome message yesterday, we truly enjoyed it!

• Joyce says:

Yes-too early. I won’t hate though…if it makes you happy why not? And its in your house, not smacking me in the face at the mall so carry on. Merry Christmas : )

19. Frank H says:

Not sure why you do not combine your love of Christmas and gardening and have a fully decorated Christmas tree in your garden year round. Sounds like a win-win to me…and then again I do not live next to you!

20. Diane Moody says:

You’re in trouble now. Elder Ken will NOT be happy. We usually wait til the Saturday after Thanksgiving, but after seeing your gorgeous picture, I wanna deck the halls NOW! He’ll be thrilled when he finds out it was Pastor Pete who gave me the idea!

As for Christmas music? I listen to it year round. Can’t help myself. Mannheim’s Silent Night, Whitney Houston’s Joy to the World, Amy Grant’s Tennessee Christmas, NSync’s acapella version of O Holy Night (stop smirking at that one) . . . and on and on. Way too good for only one month a year!

But I have to ask. Do you already have the giant blow-up decorations all over your yard? (Now I’m the one smirking.) Bet the neighbors LOVE that.

Merry Christmas, Wilsons!!

21. Julie R. says:

Its too early for ME. However, I do not begrudge your wish to have it last longer, and in order to do that you have start earlier. I get it. Thanksgiving will either be on us or we’ll be over it before I get our Christmas decor out…

22. paulaswift says:

Um…for me, it’s too early. I’ll start picking up gifts as early as October when I find the right things or a great deal. But for decorating, it’s the day after Thanksgiving when all but the tree goes up. Although this year with just B and I, we’ll probably decorate on Thanksgiving while we await for everyone else to finish their turkey. :)

As for the tree, we get a fresh tree – so in order to keep it green and smelling good for Christmas day, we get it the first or second week of December.

23. woody says:

Man card please….

24. Ernie says:

I think everyone should do what do moves them more to the real meaning of Chirstmas, but being an older person I have seen the movement of the retail stores placing Christmas decorations etc. on display and ofr sale earlier and earlier. As a child I never saw any Christmas items prior to Thanksgiving. My question is whether for most is the earlier movement more for shopping or more for the mindset of celebrating the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesue Christ, if the later I think it is wonderful, heck leave the tree up all year.

• Kelita Deems says:

I agree with You Ernie, and I have only purchased 2 gifts to date. I know some people who put their stuff up at Halloween to make an alternative statement. That is way too early for me, but without Christmas, there would be no Christ. I may even get out the Hallelujah Chorus too! And my tree will be up by Thanksgiving as well. For like beauty,is in the eye of the beholder, Christmas is in the heart of the tree decorator at my house! :)

25. Kelita Deems says:

As my boys came home last year for Thanksgiving, and Brent got there first, he told Eric “The house is lit up like the North Pole.” I agree with you, Pete, I am thankful for Christmas so what a better way to celebrate? One year, my tree went up Veterans Day weekend. I am thankful for them too! ;)

My boys are 23 and 19 and they still love tradition. I salute you!

26. Jeremy Bloom says:

I love it and we can’t wait to start here. Thanks for giving us the go ahead because we will be starting this week! By the way, it looks great. What tunes are you playing? She & Him sound great if you haven’t checked them out.

27. Kevin Cook says:

Glad we could inspire ya.

Our was put up this past Tuesday!

Kray

28. Sherie says:

Personally, I find it hard to celebrate more than one holiday at a time, so decorations don’t go up until after Thanksgiving. I don’t participate in the consumerism of Black Friday so that day is typically a day filled with decorating, cooking, music, movies, and a roaring fire to usher in winter and the season. I always want to be left with an anticipation for more rather than having too much and being tired of it all. My decorations don’t come down until at least New Year’s day, with some decorations hanging on even later. Another part of my choices are due to weather. It has still been sunny and fairly warm here in Oregon. I grew up in snow country so Christmas is a winter event for me, and I want snow! I am not sure I could ever be in the southern hemisphere at Christmas time. :)

29. Dionna says:

It does seem a tad bit early to me – but it’s beautiful. :)

30. Jon Owen says:

Every year on December 26th, I wonder where the Christmas season went, and why I didn’t stop and enjoy it. Maybe I need to join you and start celebrating earlier.

31. Christina says:

NO WAY!!! it’s not to early. Ours are going up this weekend. (being in Canada we celebrated Thanksgiving in Oct.) I started Christmas music officially on Nov 1. We’re in full swing at church practicing for the Christmas programs too. I look at it this way. why not celebrate the reason for the season as long as we can?

32. Deborah H says:

This, this is awesome! I especially love your justification re: Thanksgiving. ;D Creative – but so true!

I asked my husband back on October 30th if I could decorate on November 1st. I asked on October 30th because on October 29th I was in a particularly down mood and put Christmas music on when I crawled in to bed. It makes me happy, it helps me center. It’s one of my favorite Bible stories (how can you not get excited about a baby being miraculously born, angels showing up, love and obedience conquering pride (Joseph), and the “night that started it all”)?!?!

Anyway, as long as you don’t have outside decorations up (and really, no judgement if you do) then I say rock on with Christmas! And yes, your tree is lovely.

33. Tim Thurman says:

My dad is like you. He loves Christmas so much, he makes sure to play Christmas music in June!!!

34. sheila says:

That is funny, I was going to put up a picture of my lighted candy canes and illuminated Christmas Christmas tree (on FB) that I put up outside this weekend. We had a very mild weekend and usually we end up putting it up in 30 degree weather, not fun. So this weekend I thought, why not, But we won’t light it until hanksgiving weekend. I just couldn’t help it though, it looked so nice. And for some reason after New Years I’m ready to have my house back.

35. Kendra says:

I’m a dogmatic “Day-After-Thanksgiving-Christmas-Season” person… but definitely not a pre-Turkey-Day hater :).

We may have to get our decor out early this year because we’ll be out of town Thanksgiving weekend… so maybe, just maybe, I’m starting to loosen up a bit. “ELF” will probably be one of the DVDs we take for the road trip, although that is a year-round movie IMHO :). Definitely Christmas tunes for the ride back.

Have a superb holiday season!!

36. Stephanie says:

This is the first time I’ve heard a compelling argument for decorating for Christmas prior to Thanksgiving. I LOVE IT! I may just have to use this ‘excuse’ to do up our house early, too! As for the music, it’s never too early to celebrate the gift of Jesus Christ. There is some Christmas music that I listen to year round. (on a non-Christ Christmas related note, I also watch “Elf” all year round . . . “I don’t care WHO you are, THAT there’s funny” – to quote Larry the Cable Guy. ;0)

37. Harold says:

Lord yes it’s WAY TOO early. You know my feelings on this. I think I find some way to work them in here every year. You’re going to hell. lol

38. Jai says:

It is not too early. I have been trying to get hubs to get our Christmas things out, but he just can’t bring himself to do ANYTHING before Thanksgiving … so my boys and I will decorate the smaller tree I bought for them last year TODAY! whohhoo! The children and I have had some GREAT conversations about Christmas, Christ and his birthday .. so I am ok with it .. besides, I was once told that technically, Jesus was not born in December … hhhhmmmm

39. Hilary says:

Just call me the grinch, :) It’s a bit too early for me, for two reasons.

1) I love Thanksgiving and what it means, and it often gets overshadowed, esp. with all the shopping and ads.

2) What about celebrating Advent first? (around Dec 1, to December 24) My parents always kept an Advent calendar in our house, and every day of December it was so much fun to open the calendar and see the surprise inside. Then technically on the liturgical calendar, we can keep celebrating Christmas until Epiphany the first week in January! Anything that can keep the Christmas spirit alive past New Year’s I am all for it. January can be kind of depressing sometimes, esp. with the weather.

Here’s an interesting site on Advent:

With that said, ultimately to each his own, no judgment here! :)

40. Chris Walker says:

Yay for Christmas! Put our lights up outside this past weekend and yes we are lighting them at night. Put my man cave tree up last week. The rest of the house will soon follow.

41. Melinda McReynolds says:

We put ours up. Mike- I call him an Elf- is a Christmas NUT! So you are not alone. :) And Christmas movies and music were playing before the tree was up.

42. Robin says:

I’m a little on the fence about this one, but, I say if that’s what you want, then there is no wrong or right answer to it. Whatever makes you & your family happy. Beautiful taste by the way. Merry Christmas!

43. Jordan Frey says:

I too have my little 32 inch tree up on top of my dresser in my dorm room and I have been listening to Christmas music ever since Michael Buble’s new Christmas album came out. I think it’s a little early myself, but I’m perfectly ok with it!

44. Gina says:

Wonderful! This is wonderful because I put our tree up on Friday and my husband John was saying I am not giving Thanksgiving its true time, and He was haten alittle cause he had to go in the basement to put it up.lol Our daughter Daana helped me decorate it and we had a great time.. I said all those exact things to my husband that you said in your blog today!And my husband posted it for me..Isnt it great when God does that! I’m not Haten I’m Loven! God really spoke through you Pete in confirming its all just fine! lol Hey we’re getting ready to celebrate the birthday party of a KING! THE KING OF KINGS!!!

• Beth says:

Noooooo, not too early. I agree with others who’ve commented, Christmas is a year-round message. I like to think I always treasure a bit of Christmas in my heart. Having said that if we put the tree up too early in my parents’ home I’d probably bust my gift-giving budget but I’ve already started singing carols. You know, to warm up. I’ve decided Christmas is going to be all about the heart for me in 2011 and I’ve been trying to create some warm Christmas feelings by writing poems and songs and stories. Christmas could always be more perfect. I think this is the nature of the season. But I think it’s going to be a great year! Happy holidays to both of you!

45. Amy says:

It is NEVER too early for Christmas decorations. Well, unless it is March. But now? Absolutely not. :)

46. Michelle says:

I love it!! I listen to Christmas music year round and suffer mocking and disdain from others. Thank you for your public love of Christmas :)

47. @MWBunker says:

Nice post.
    My wife is “fighting the urge” to do the same because of what people will say.
    IMHO… I like the spirit of Christmas and all, but if it wasn’t for her and the kids I would go very low key on decorating. Does that make me a “Humbug”?

48. jason says:

why not?

Merry Christmas!

49. Hilary says:

I love it!

In my early 20′s when I went thru my “If Christians are like that I don’t want to be one” phase, I listened to sacred Christmas music nearly year-round… it was the only thing “Christian” I could stand, and my heart loved it. It’s not too early. It’s never too early.

50. cshell says:

Oh.My.Word.

51. Jason says:

Way too early. But I like your child-like enthusiasm.

52. Anne says:

That’s awesome Pastor! In the Philippines, many people are putting up Christmas trees and decorations as early as the “-ber” months start. That means September. And pack them away even after 3 Kings. LOL!

53. Tim says:

All love here, bro…the earlier to start and the later to end the better…there’s too much to love about the Christmas season to limit it to just one month. Hopefully you’ll get more snow again this year. Keep it up!

54. vanilla says:

It’s too early. For me. But it is your Christmas celebration, your home, your choice. Do what makes you happy! It’s Christmas. Oops, now I’ve started early, too.

(Tradition says my decor lives from 24 Dec to 6 Jan.)

55. Lisa says:

Mine started going up Halloween day! i LOVE LOVER LOVE it!!!

56. CFloyd says:

My goal this year is to have our stuff up by Thanksgiving, so my husband is taking off work next week to make that happen. Otherwise, I feel “behind” because once December starts, there is a flurry of activity -unfortunately NOT of snow in the South – and we sometimes don’t get our stuff up and out till the week before or – OF – GASP.

NOT THIS YEAR MY FRIEND, NOT THIS YEAR! :)

Celebrate the King!! Peace on earth! Goodwill towards men!

57. Donna says:

It is never to early to celebrate Christ!

58. And yes, I’ve got the Christmas tunes playing as well.<—-As do I, they are blaring out of my office right now, Essential Christmas Collection, Kutless Christmas, Third Day Christmas Offerings, Dave Barnes A very Merry Christmas, Chris Tomlin's Christmas–Joyful Joyful We adore Thee, It just bubbles the Joy up in me! You go Pete!!

59. Dude.Dude.Dude. Way to early. Thanksgiving Weekend I would give you a pass but just post Halloween, not so much.

I think there is a rule: One cannot put up a Christmas Tree and or Decorate for the Holidays if household combined Halloween Candy buckets are not more than half empty.

Then again, after looking at the rule and the fact you have 3 boys (4 with you) eating the candy, the buckets just may be empty, thus waiving the previous rule.

60. JulyG says:

Oh here in the Dominican Republic we decorate in October (last week generally)…so it depends :p

61. Gail says:

Not too early so long as you say ‘Happy Thanksgiving’ &/or ‘Merry Christmas’ and DO NOT resort to a generic ‘happy holidays’!!

Blessings G

62. Davy Boggs says:

We have traveled as evangelists for the last nine years and have lived in RVs so there is not much room for Christmas decorations. But before then our tree was always up for our daughter’s birthday. We have a Christmas tree in the background of the pictures every year. Her birth date?? October 14th!

Davy