If At First You Don’t Succeed Try, Try Again

You’ve probably never heard of George Weiss. However, he served as a real source of inspiration for me today.

Mr. Weiss is an inventor. In fact, over the last 50 years his creativity has produced more than 80 inventions, many of which are piled up in the basement of the Brooklyn, NY, home in which he’s lived for the last 45 years.

According to MSNBC

His inventions have won rave reviews from his friends and family, yet he was unable to get companies to invest in them. “Everywhere I’d go I’d get rejected,” he told TODAY.com. “They have form letters at all the companies. I just couldn’t get a foot in the door.”

But all that changed when a small company named Ideas Never Implemented agreed to invest in a word game Weiss came up with. Fittingly, its name is a synonym for “tinker”: “Dabble.”

Dabble is now sold in 50 stores nationwide. And recently it won the 2011 Game of the Year Award from Creative Child Magazine.

This article reminded me  to never give up. I think so many creatives give up because they don’t have quick success.

Keep dreaming.

Keep writing.

Keep creating.

Keep persisting.

Keep brainstorming.

Weiss had a little advice for other creatives with big dreams. “Don’t create a product just because you think it will make you rich. Work on something that’s meaningful to you,” Weiss advised. “If you do that, you’re more likely to find success.”

I couldn’t agree more.

21 Responses to “If At First You Don’t Succeed Try, Try Again”

1. Wow. Did I need to hear this right about now! One thing I’ve learned in the last 24 hours is that not everyone, even those close to you, will always cheer your God-given dreams and desires. It’s a hard lesson but you have to press through and not give up.

2. Thanks for sharing!! I love stories like this!
    you should also check out the story behind the guy who invented Monopoly!!

3. Great, great article Pete! So many people quit short of break through! Thank you for the encouragement.

4. Craig Smith says:

Persistance & Obedience. I have ideas for ministry that I’m working on and through that don’t work out the way that I want them to. I have an idea of how I want things to go but God pulls on the reigns and steers me in other directions. Then I have to be willing to go His way (which requires a lot more faith than I’m accustomed to using :) and trust that His way will work better than mine. I’m still working on my faith muscles – it’s a daily workout! I know the His fruit will taste a lot better than mine.

5. Julie R. says:

If at first you don’t succeed, then don’t …whatever you do… try skydiving.

6. Matt Snyder says:

You know what? This is just what I needed to read today. A vital reminder to how I steward my time. Thanks for posting this, Pete.

7. Kim says:

Timely post! I was feeling discouraged and went, of course, to the fridge. I didn’t find what I wanted (who ate all the chocolate?!) and on the way back to my office I decided that I needed to purpose to change my mindset right now or the rest of my day would be shot. Thanks for this, and thanks to the others for their comments…great source of encouragement right this minute.

8. Amy says:

An encouraging word for me today. Thank you!

9. Tim Thurman says:

Love that! And boy did I need that today! Thank you!

10. Bill says:

Thanks Pete a great reminder to all of us.

11. John says:

Twice as true for me. After surviving a life-threatening illness, I was surprised that I didn’t quite know what to do next. But what I realized was that I needed to dream again because I didn’t want to be the same-old person that I used to be.

12. Jason says:

Thank you for sharing this Pete.

13. Bart Leger says:

Thanks for this one today. Having just started a new blog, I can use the motivation to keep it up.

14. judy says:

I agree and to keep going one foot in front of the other. I appreciate the encouragement of the “creatives”. I love Selah and this song “You deliver Me”
    Deep as the ocean, bright as rain
    This powerful emotion lifts me up above the plain
    It’s taking me to places I never thought I’d go

When I feel like I can’t go on
    You deliver me
    And when the road is winding and way too long
    You deliver me

Ps. 81 when I worship I get smaller and God gets bigger and life gets more meaningful, thankful for god’s mercy. Thanks for cranking out these posts week after week Pete.

15. Mary says:

I agree. I write books because it gives me personal satisfaction not because it will make me rich.

16. Steve Martin says:

“Keep dreaming.

Keep writing.

Keep creating.

Keep persisting.

Keep brainstorming.”

Right!

And when we do stop…He will raise us from the dead. (He loves fresh dirt!)

17. bruce crews says:

Definitely a timely word – thanks Pete. I’m actively dreaming again, and God keeps using items like this blog to encourage me (and others too I know) along the way.

18. Rob says:

it’s amazing how many inspiring people have that same story!

19. britt savage says:

thanks for sharing George’s story with me today!