Royal Treatment

It’s been hard to escape the buzz of the pending wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton which is coming up on April 29th. The other night I caught a few minutes of a special on 20/20 about the wedding as well as some of the behind the scenes stories of the royal family.

I’ll admit the whole “royal family” stuff intrigues me. While I know it really does nothing to make our country move forward I kind of wish we had a royal family deal here in the U.S. and I kind of wish it included me. :) I don’t really want to be the King (too much work) but I wouldn’t mind being his cousin.

The program on 20/20 said that Prince Charles actually has someone who squeezes his toothpaste onto the brush for him. Really? Are you kidding me?

So it got me thinking. For a moment let’s forget about our calling to serve instead of be served (don’t Jesus Juke me).

If you were royalty what’s one daily activity you would most look forward to giving up?

Me? I would give up shaving. I like the idea of sitting in a chair every morning and having someone shave me with a straight razor. That’s royal treatment to me.

Your Turn.

75 Responses to “Royal Treatment”

1. Amy says:

Hair and makeup!! Oh and can someone please give me a massage before I start my day?

2. Jessica says:

Cooking. Putting on socks.

3. Eliza says:

Driving to work. I’d rather be driven.

4. Becca says:

Either hair and makeup or driving – I commute an average of 80 miles a day in a city with nonexistant public transportation.

5. Leslie says:

No question – I’d have a driver. Everywhere. Even down the block to the store. I really don’t like to drive and as a mom and youth volunteer I do it all the time (thankfully, happily) BUT if I could have any “royal treatment,” I’d definitely go for the chauffeur!

6. Brian says:

I agree with Eliza. Driving to work. I would really like a chauffeur.

7. Lex says:

Hair. I mean … I don’t really DO my hair most days, but I probably should. I would LOVE to get out of the shower, get dressed, and sit in a chair while someone takes care of my hair. *big sigh*

8. Michael says:

I’d give up cutting my toe nails. It’s not that it’s hard to do. I just don’t like to do it.

9. CamMohajerin says:

hahaha…I’m not even kidding, when I read about the toothpaste I had the thought that I wish someone would shave my face every day.

I! HATE! SHAVING!

I can’t use an electric one. Blades only. And being of Middle Eastern descent I need to shave daily. I’m doing good to force myself to do it twice a week.

Oddly enough one of my favorite stores is Art of Shaving, I guess because I think they’ll make it easier to shave every time I walk in there…but usually they just make it more expensive. :)

10. I would love to have someone do my hair every morning. I love the feeling of having my hair done after getting a haircut…I’d like that every day.

11. Amy Nabors says:

I would have to say all manner of housework. Cleaning, cooking & laundry. Probably every mom’s answer.

12. Cindy says:

Making school lunches…oh, wait, my husband does that. Grocery shopping…oh wait…he does that too. I’ll go with “Put away the clean laundry.” I REALLY hate doing that.

13. Sara says:

I’d like someone to read me the newspaper, preferably Brian Williams. I know he does each night at 6:30, but I’d prefer it in the morning from the paper.

14. Amy says:

Laundry!

15. Craig Smith says:

I guess if you are born and raised in a home where you don’t have to squeeze the Aquafresh on your brush then I guess you get used to it. My brain won’t allow me to go there.

Folding laundry would be mine. I don’t mind washing it. But folding it is of the devil. I have a basket waiting for me at home and I swear it will multiply before I get there!

16. Helen says:

My rugs could use a vacuuming. Where do I apply for princesship so I can have someone else do them? :-)

17. Ashley says:

Hair for sure! I’d love someone to blow dry & straighten my hair for me everyday :)

18. Robert Wolgemuth says:

Squeezing toothpaste has always been great fun. But plugging the mini-usb into my Blackberry at the end of the day…sometimes it goes in just fine, then sometimes I go crazy trying to make it fit. I’d just hand it to my full-time Blackberry plugger guy and tell him to do it for me. Pure luxury.

19. robin says:

hair and make-up for sure. I would really appreciate someone to straighten my hair, especially the pieces in the back.

20. Aaron says:

The Royal Shave would be great. But, for me, having someone pick out my clothes for me every morning, and always have my clothing pressed, cleaned, etc… THAT would be awesome!

Almost forgot: add to that a BRAND NEW pair of socks to where every day. Is there any better feeling than wearing new socks?

21. Derek Ellis says:

Paper writing. As a college student, paper writing is the staple of my daily activities. If I could have someone just write my papers for me (and EDIT them also), that would free up most of my day! Luxurious, I tell you.

22. Kristen says:

I’d have someone do my hair everyday. A total girl answer, I know, but the total truth!

Fun question, Pete!

23. Laura Anne says:

I’m rubbish with history – but you could have a royal family if it hadn’t been for the 4th July!!! ;)

And I seriously doubt Prince Charles has someone squeeze toothpaste for him!!! lol. The royal family contrary to popular belief are a lot more self-sufficient than that. For sure his sons are pretty used to ‘roughing it’ being active members of our Royal Forces – Kate & Wills will be living in the back of beyond once married in RAF accommodation. Hardly Buckingham Palace…

In fact, did you know that I might have ended up studying in the same classes as Prince William had I gone to St Andrew’s University (instead of Aberdeen)….yep, we started uni the same year doing the same course!! My friend Katharine studied in the same classes as him.

Anyway, if I was a Princess, then I might never wash dishes ever again…. :)

24. I LOATHE shoes and socks. I would want someone to put them on my feet and tie them in double knots so they don’t come untied like they typically do when I’m in charge.

Oh, and my hair. I think girls should get two things as royalty! :-)

25. Elizabeth says:

As much as I’d love to be driven around, I think I’d have to go with a Clothes-Handler (that would be the official title). This person would be in charge of laundry and picking out my clothes each day. I do not enjoy either of those tasks.

26. I’d let someone drive me around. That would be the royal treatment for me.

27. Joyce says:

I’d definitely have someone do my hair every day. I think someone putting my toothpaste on my toothbrush would gross me out a little. I don’t even like it when my husband does that. Shh…don’t tell him…it is a little thing he does to be nice and I can appreciate that. Happy Easter!

28. Jason says:

Actually, now that I think about it, it would be pretty cool to have someone else shave me every morning. It’s hard getting some spots on my back.

29. sarah says:

Not that I’m high maintenance but if someone could do my hair for me. I wouldn’t say no.

30. Nate says:

I’d have to agree with you on the shaving thing. And on driving. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been driving home from the office all tired and wishing I could just nap on the way home.

31. judy says:

Wow, I would have to say it would be great to have someone whip up an omelette, just like I had this past week in Huatulco….sooo yummy!

32. Brooke says:

Cleaning the “castle.” :)

33. Tony says:

I would give up preparing my own food. Granted my wife does most of it…but she is not always there.

34. Tony says:

Oh…I got it. Better than not having to prepare my own food. I would get someone to exercise for me like the dude in the DirectTV commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vHT6b7u1_Y&feature=related

35. Heidi says:

Going to go with the girls here, someone to do my hair every morning would be amazing! :)

36. Michelle Thompson says:

I think I would enjoy someone else cook, clean and deal with the kids and their homework oh and do my laundry, although someone else driving me and the kids around, ohhh that sounds nice to.

37. britt savage says:

I would like someone to clean the royal cat litter boxes.

38. Beth K. Vogt says:

OK, I can squeeze my own toothpaste onto my toothbrush (although my husband might argue about the whole squeeze-it-from-the-bottom-not-from-the-middle problem.)
    I would so love to have someone do my hair every day.
    Any takers?
    Didn’t think so.

39. Becky says:

Just one?! AH…I have two! :) I would give up driving and also have some one do my hair and make up each day!

40. Justin says:

Pete,
    I appreciate your honesty and your Jesus juke reference, very funny!

I think I would give up the daily duty of bills. It would be nice to have someone look at that everyday and just give me a CC or cash to go get what I wanted.

Thanks for openness to be honest!

-JW

41. nicole says:

I would LOVE to have someone do my hair everyday but I think i would want to drive myself….in a really nice car (red ferrari f430)….maybe on my own street? :)

42. While I enjoy cooking, I wouldn’t mind someone cooking something new every day for me.

After all, I enjoy cooking, but really, I only do it because I LOVE EATING.

43. Writing.

I’d love to have the best ghost writer ever. He’d just follow me around and listen to me think and turn it all into books.

That’d be Kingly.

44. Laundry. From picking it up off the floor to putting it away.

45. jen says:

Def. a Laundry Fairy…wash, fold, put away, everyday.

46. Paul says:

Do they have to go to doctor appointments and sit and wait for a doctor who is always bhehind schedule or do you think the doctor comes their house (palace, whatever)? Personal doctor would be great. Other than that, shaving would be cool, especially if they put the hot towel on the face afterwards.

47. Cat Moore says:

i can squeeze my own toothpaste, I just want someone to clean! :)

48. susan says:

Could I have someone who dieted at every meal and worked-out 3 hours a day — in order for ME to be fit? Oh, that is magic kingdom not royal family ;)

49. Breanne McLendon says:

my first thought was someone doing my hair but b/c I live in Los Angeles…the thought of having someone drive me around would be the best!

50. Christine says:

Dishes! I will drive myself, comb my own hair, iron ’til the kids come home (there are no cows anywhere near me) and brush my teeth, but if someone would pleasepleaseplease take care of the never ending downer that is doing the dishes and keeping the dishwasher ready to receive dishes, I would feel like a princess forever!

51. Mark Parsons says:

I don’t need anyone to drive me to work…but having someone start my car so that the A/C or heater is on when I get in would be cool (or warm I suppose)!

52. Chrisy Ennen says:

I think it would be my hair and all beauty-related things. As a mom, I rarely get pampered and to be pampered in that way every day would be AMAZING!

53. Nigel says:

I would LOVE to have someone else feed/clean up after our chickens. Feeding them isn’t that big of a problem, but cleaning up chicken poop loses it’s luster rather quick….

54. bethany says:

I would love for someone to organize my bills. Pay my bills and then just say here this is what you have left over for fun. This is your gas money, your grocery money, ect. But they would take the time to send in my bills, offerings, tithes, and savings.

And the other thing would be someone to get my gas.

55. tom says:

being a resident of the UK, and being brought up with the royal family in the air so to speak, I have to say that I find it unlikely that the toothpaste comment on your show was accurate… but then its not like I know the dude personally so I cant say for sure… I also have to say that as one of the people that pays the wages of his staff (me and all the other tax payers in the UK) I would be very unhappy if it were true – I cant help think that my money could be better spent on, say, a hospital nurse or a teacher…

To get to your question, my answer is unoriginal… I would have someone do all my housework. My wife has not been well for a long time and she really struggles to look after my baby girl (soon to be girls) and keep up with the housework – so I tend to do most of it when I get home from work… I leave the house at 0530 and dont get to sit down and stop till 2030/2100 thats a long shift in anyones book haha…

56. Betty says:

I would like someone to do my laundry for me. No more stacks and stacks of clothes to put away!!