Just In Case

So it’s all out now. Back in July I got a call at home from Taylor asking if we would let the boys come up and shoot her new video with her. I thought about it for about half a second and of course we cleared our schedule so they could have this once in a lifetime opportunity.

While we were up there they made a last second call on the set and asked Brandi and I if we would jump in and play Taylor’s parents in the flashback scene to when she was a little girl. We agreed. Who knew we would be seen fighting in over 160 countries. :)

Oh, how I enjoy this crazy ride called “life” God’s put us on.

Just in case you missed it….

90 Responses to “Just In Case”

1. Lori says:

What a beautiful song and awesome privileged!!

2. Karen says:

That’s just fantastic. How exciting.

3. Julie R. says:

How exciting!!
    I think my favorite line is
    ” you made a rebel out of a careless man’s careful daughter…”
    (I wonder if men realize the impact they have on their daughter’s lives.)

This is awesome Pete!

4. Jim Hunt says:

You never know what mission field you are going to be working in. Awesome.

5. Jeffrey East says:

You’re amazing, dude. You do it all, man! Great job!

6. sarah says:

what an experience…what a memory for your family :) so cool!!

7. Nigel says:

I’m so jealous of you guys! That’s so cool that she asked you guys to be in it.

8. Chrissy says:

The whole thing kinda made me cry just a little! Beautiful!

9. Darla Baerg says:

That is SO awesome! Trying to figure out if I can factually say I “know” someone in a Taylor Swift video if we haven’t met in person. I’m not sure “blog reader” counts as knowing … but it’s still cool!

• Naomi says:

I agree Darla! Does reading a great book and reading the great blog of someone I may likely never meet this side of heaven, count as knowing him? I lurk here and at Brandi’s blog. But that is hjard to put in a sentence about a Taylor Swift video!

10. Tiffany says:

Well I LOVE the song and now I love it even more because one of my favorite families is in it! How awesome is that! I am sure the boys loved hanging with Taylor Swift!

11. britt says:

what a thrill to see you guys in such a cool video. Happy Birthday to your lovely wife.

now I just need to know what you were actually yelling during that scene!

• Julie R. says:

ooohhh I agree… Tell us Pete! Please… what were you two yelling about?!!

annnnnnd CAN we say we know you if we’ve never met?? LOL

12. [...] Great song. Great message. Oh, and here is a little background secret about the video–Pete Wilson (a friend who is a pastor in Nashville) and his entire family are actors in the video. Fun [...]

13. Carolyn says:

For anyone elso in the UK who CMT class as being in the ‘wrong’ region, you can watch on MTV UK here

Pete – way cool!

14. Alyssa says:

I watched it last night about 10:00 on CMT and thought the video was amazing! (So thanks for the heads up yesterday!) How fun that your family all got to participate!

15. Andrea says:

Love it! That is such a great memory for the boys!

16. Anonymous says:

Pete,
    I have to admit my family is having conflicted thoughts about this video. If I understand it correctly the lyrics suggest that the couple in the video are living together before marriage. It doesn’t bother us that you two are fighting in the video but that by being in the video you could be seen as promoting the idea. We know that you don’t but it is hard to swallow. I don’t think people are seeing the subtle message in the lyrics. I also feel like for the video is taking our focus off of Jesus and our mission.

• elizabeth says:

for the record, the lyrics actually say, “Flash forward, and we’re takin’ on the world together/And there’s a drawer of my things at your place”
      Which, to me, doesn’t suggest moving in together.

• Pete Wilson says:

If you’re family is having conflicted thoughts about the video than I think your family should probably stop watching it over and over.

We’ve obviously seen it numerous times and do not feel that the song is promoting anything that goes against are family values.

What’s so hard to swallow?

My family had an amazing time and had a once in a lifetime opportunity to share our Christ centered lives with people we had never met before.

If this video is taking your focus off your vision of Jesus than TURN IT OFF.

If my blog is taking your focus on Jesus TURN IT OFF.

We instead had a bunch of friends of over to watch the premier and just celebrated God and the crazy opportunities he’s been given my family to have a platform for Him.

My blog tends to just be an overflow of my life. When I posted about my youngest playing soccer last weekend there was nothing inherently Christ focused about that either? But for me it is. Every soccer game, video shoot, camping trip, book tour, date night is another opportunity to be connected to the power of Christ in my life and display the fruit He produces in my life as I abide in him. Sometimes I really screw this up but I know it’s possible in each and every moment.

Sorry you’re having a tough time with this one Mr. or Mrs Anonymous. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you work through this one. Sometimes I know we’ve just got to agree to disagree.

• Tug Taviano says:

Pete,
        Well put, and with love…. CONGRATS on the video, and hopefully I will see you at the STICKS, if I can get down there! People love to just try and steal God’s thunder… I have been blessed to work closely with some Cleveland Browns players this year, and God gets all the credit…although I am FREAKIN so jacked to be a part of it!!!

Thanks for being you, that is what God intended you to be!!

TUG

• Anonymous says:

In retrospect I should have emailed Pastor Pete directly. I apologize for not speaking my feelings clearly. My opinion still stands that the message of the verse; “And there’s a drawer of my things at your place” suggests that they are living together before being married. In the video they are moving boxes in and then follows the engagement. Call it over analyzing if you would like but I believe that we should understand what we watch and listen to in the media. Is that so wrong?

As for the rest of my post I have explained myself to Pastor Pete in an email.

Maurillo, I don’t believe that I am hiding my personal issues behind a secular argument. I’m just stating what I saw and heard in the lyrics in a friendly and open discussion. I believe we should be Salt and Light all around the world but we don’t have to support the views of the world.

• I’m not sure how the video is “taking our focus out of Jesus.” Taylor is one of the few young artists today whose music is empowering and positive. It’s bothersome to me how people hide their personal issues behind the secular/sacred argument.

We are not Christians because we listen to Christian music and watch bad Christian tv. We are Christians because we have been redeemed by the blood of Christ and we are salt and light everywhere we go. And the Bible is clear that we should go into all the world. That’s way beyond the Christian Ghetto some people choose never to leave.

As I board member, I’m glad that my Pastor and his entire family had an opportunity to spend time with Taylor and the video crew. I don’t know if Ms. Swift is a Christian, but I’m sure that the Wilson family made an impact on her.

• Ryan Strother says:

If someone is not man enough to use his name (or hers), then there comments should not be worried about much. If someone has something to contribute, then speak up and take the credit for what is said. Anonymity is an invitation to be ignored in my book.

• Julie says:

I see it in a completely different way, Anonymous. Even if the inference is that she moved in with him prior to marriage, there is a lot to be gained from that. Just go with me for a moment. My 19 yr old son is making choices that I do NOT endorse. That said, 2 months ago, the decisions he was making were completely more self destructive than the ones he’s making now and I’m praising Jesus for the progress. I was religious when he was growing up, but I didn’t have a relationship with the Lord, and I was a mess. Some of what is coming out in him right now is seed I have sown and I have confessed that to the Lord and to my son. Bottom line though? His choices are his choices and the only thing we can do as parents is what our Savior does for us… love us through it.

So, back to the question of whether or not she was living with him. The point is, they got married. Love was worth fighting for. Life is hard, but you can use love to see you through. That is the message I want my kids to get from my marriage and from life in general. Pete is not endorsing cohabitation, that is quite a leap. First, it’s a song, not real life. Second, she’s not Pete’s child. Finally, even if she was his child, we can’t make choices for our adult children. We can only pray they will evetually make the right ones.

• Kelly says:

My boyfriend who is now my husband) and I lived 45 minutes apart when I was in grad school. I kept things at his house for the sheer convenience of it (extra clothes, a toothbrush, etc). And, we never lived together and/or had sex before marriage. I think you are reading too much into the phrase.

17. so Pete you obviously knew Taylor Swift before this – its not like she flipped through the yellow pages and randomly selected you – so what’s your previous connection to her?

18. Shelley says:

Aww, I’m so sad! I can’t watch that video…won’t play in my region :(. Oh well, I’ll have to search it out elsewhere.

19. Amy Nabors says:

What an awesome opportunity for you all. It was fun seeing you all in the video last night. I don’t know how you and Brandi fought like that without cracking up.

20. You are probably going to get a lot of criticism for engaging your family into something so secular. I hope it doesn’t backfire on you. I hope that others will realize that this video along with many others create opportunities to engage in open discussion about what is and isn’t glorifying to the Christian faith.

It’s tragic that the parents were fighting in the background, destroying the little girl. My dad was a careless man…..and just like the little taylor in this video, I ran out and sought my comfort and affirmation in the arms of another, long before I was married. Long before I sought my everything in Jesus. Jesus saved me anyway.

Looks like your family had fun….and it was so fun to watch. What a fun family memory you’ll have forever.

• Pete Wilson says:

I think we’ll make it through it Melissa. I get criticism for how I cross the road these days so I’m getting kind of used to it. :)

• I remember bumping into you at the gym a few years ago…..I think we were spinning on those awkward stationary bikes…..and you were ministering to the guy next to you…who had no idea you were even a pastor. Not everyone who reads your blog has the blessed experience of seeing first hand how you carry yourself in your life, in actively loving others, etc. The gym didn’t have a cross over the door or a pulpit in the back. I guess I might get a little protective of you in these situations but hopefully I’ll behave well. I just hate to see the criticism. It fires me up. I think Anonymous means well….as those are all fair things to consider…but legalism can squash a lot of amazing opportunities to reach those who will never consider walking through the doors of a church. I’m rambling…sorry.

21. Jessica says:

Many are going to over-analyze this :) But I just want to say it looks like you guys had a lot of fun, what a wonderful opportunity and this may be one my new favorite songs. Not just because your family is in the video, but I love the message.
    Reminds me of all the great things about my own relationship, marriage and life.
    So great!

22. Joyce says:

Six degrees of separation totally counts in the blogosphere, right? We saw it…so awesome and your boys are totally adorable on screen. I have to say too that I love seeing a 20 year old girl in the public eye who is dressed cute but not cringe worthy, is talented and having a lot of fun without making ridiculous, embarrassing or sad headlines.

23. Cheryl Floyd says:

That was AWESOME! – You fight so well! – what good actors… :P XOXOX Love to the Wilson family.

24. That’s an awesome video. Caught it last night! Such an awesome thing for you and your family!! LOVE the song!

25. Jamie says:

Now I want to know how Taylor got your home number!
    Congratulations to you, Brand and the boys!

26. Mrs. G says:

Love it!!! I thought that was you but then I had to rewind and check it again. Ha! You guys are awesome.

27. Dionna says:

So how do you know Taylor?

28. Chilly says:

will you play my dad when I shoot my music video?

– seriously: very, VERY cool! what a beautiful family!

29. Sarah D. says:

LOVE IT! I’m a closet Taylor Swift fan, but I think I might just bite the bullet and get her new CD when it comes out. What a great video, and your boys were super cute.;)

How do you know Taylor?

30. Erin says:

Beautiful! Taylor seems like she is as fabulous in real-life as she is on-screen. I think it’s so cool that ya’ll had this opportunity! The video was GREAT!!!

31. Ally says:

Wow. What an opportunity! i can’t wait to see and/or hear how God uses you for His Kingdom through this video.

I just watched the premiere show on CMT & Taylor talked about how she met your boys in Nashville. Sorry to say i’ve never gotten in to her music, but i’ll certainly dig deeper now. LOVE that song Mine! After awtching her interview, i’m an instant fan. God’s blessed her w/ abundant talent that’s for sure.

So great to see that your entire family got to be a part of this-what an incredible privilege & fun memory. Congrats!

32. shellie (baylormum) says:

Thanks! Had other commitments last night. What an awesome song & video. It really struck my heart to think, after nearly 25 years, that my husband really WAS the first thing I could call mine. And I was nearly 28 when we met. It wasn’t a date my mother “fixed” up. We just met by chance and, well, you know….

33. robert says:

so my question is “what did they ask you to pretend fight about.” i hope it was something good like “which superpower is better … invisibility or flight?”

34. Carrie says:

I loved the video! It turned out gorgeous. My own 3 year old son has a very similar killer set of dimples to Brewer’s. Man, they get me every time.

35. Tracy says:

That was a great video, and a wonderful opportunity for a once in a lifetime event. My 5 year old daughter of course loved it because the Princess (Love Story) lady sings it. ;)

36. Jason says:

Your being in this video has allowed me to witness to guys in my fantasy baseball league. It’s opened a door for me to talk about my pastor, the church and “only in Nashville” kinds of things.

37. Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. I loved watching you, Brandi and the boys in the video!

38. Maureen says:

urgh… I can’t watch the video in my region… is it on youtube yet?

39. Lance says:

Enjoy the ride! How exciting!

40. Jami says:

Uh, hey– what better way to emulate Christ than to associate with people that Christians don’t think you should be associating with? :)

In any event, I think TS seems to be a sweet, wholesome girl. :)

41. Kathi Waddle says:

LOVED the video!! I say when Jeffrey East shoots some more music videos then he should get Blake and Ally and the girls in one of his. See how many Cross Point pastors and their families can get into music videos :)

42. jackalopekid says:

Awesome video. For real. Not only did you get to be in a Taylor Swift video, but probably her best one ever. So cool!

43. Shelby says:

That was great, looove Taylor Swift and your boys were great! (and you and brandi are awesome fake-fighters)

44. Brad says:

The argument looked so real… you must have had some practice?! lol Keep being “salt & light” wherever you can Pete. From one pastor to another thanks for always inspiring me to keep pushing forward. Now,… excuse me while I figure out how I’m going to fulfill my 7th grade dream of getting on stage with Poison…

45. Jody says:

I love anonymous donations, but I loathe anonymous comments, not the person, but the actual comment. Come out of the closet!

I, for one, love how transparent of a community you have helped to create here in Nashville, TN. Where real life issues are discussed and not covered up as though they do not happen in “christian” families.

It does often times frustrate me that some people don’t “get it,” but the truth is, I bet some of my friends still think I am going to hell because I listen to Rock ‘n’ Roll Christian music. And that’s ok, too!

I really believe if you showed this video to Jesus, he would spend more time smiling at the children playing, rather than worrying about the order at which the young couple chose to move in together. Maybe He would admire that Taylor Swift is still “dressed” in her videos and 99% of her self wrote lyrics are appropriate for our chidren. That’s my Jesus! What’s yours look like?

• Laretha says:

very well put. My pastor calls them “drive by letters/emails”.

we are the body – the hands and feet of Jesus. Jesus went into the dark places. I am so thankful he did!

46. Julie R. says:

I watched the video, read the comments and even posted my own.
    To Anonymous I would say you are entitled to your opinion, but remember everyone one is entitled to their own as well.
    I do see the point anonymous is trying to make, but I think anonymous missed the reality of life…and that is Christians everywhere live within a sin filled/secular minded world. How can we, as proclaimed Christians, reach out and be the salt and the light that they talk about if we don’t reach INTO that world they think we should be avoiding? I believe we can be a part of lives who need Jesus without worrying about getting sin all over us…

47. The Whites think this is the coolest thing ever! So fun and glad you got a vacation out of this deal. Love you guys!

48. Marshall says:

Really cool Pete!

49. David Knapp says:

I like being a missionary to Germany but I hate not being able to view certain videos such as this one. :-(

50. Julie says:

My 3 boys are jealous. LOL I love Taylor Swift. I’m not a country fan. At. All. but I like her. Hey wait, I’m jealous too. I have always wanted to go to Maine. It looks just as amazing as I’ve imagined it. So happy for your family.

51. Rodney says:

Isn’t Taylor a little tall to be your daughter? – JK

As for the anonymous critics they should not read the bible it’s full of people making mistakes.

I don’t know you personally just thru this blog and listening to your lessons online but I was excited for your family. This was way cool don’t let people bring you down.

52. Laretha says:

Totally cool! So happy for you guys and happy that God is using you. Way to be the hands, feet and heart of Jesus! Way to represent! :)

53. this is so exciting!!! congrats to your family :-) glad you all got to experience something so fun and unique together!

54. Katherine says:

Incredible. Incredible opportunity for your family! Incredible response to the critics. I’m a huge Pete and family fan!

55. Kim Harr says:

Taylor Swift video-WOW! How awesome is that?! So happy for you and your family, Pete. What an incredible experience and blessing filled year you are having :) I hope that any negative comments you receive will not rob of you of them.

56. Barbara says:

Amazing video, even though it took a little effort for me to find a website that would allow me to watch it in Germany. And what an amazing opportunity for you and your family to share your values and beliefs on set.

57. Iris says:

I loved the video and I love that your family got to be a part of it!! I can only imagine how exciting that must have been for all of you, especially your boys!!

58. Jeff Graves says:

A little bird told me you may make an appearance…so Kim and I grabbed some coffee and turned on the tube. When you appeared, I. Laughed. Out. Loud…In pure joy at seeing you on the screen.

Long way from a cafeteria.

Miss you.

59. [...] MinistryDirect.com’s recent SkypeCasts (view SkypeCast below) featured Pete Wilson, Author of Plan B and Pastor of CrossPoint Church in Nashville, is featured in Taylor Swifts new [...]

60. Jen says:

Oh my goodness… People… Pete is doing God’s work. Don’t criticize…. I am so excited that your family was blessed with this experience. God bless you all!
    Jen from Cali

61. Hope says:

So, I know that you’re an author….and a pastor….and that’s pretty cool…but not gonna lie, I am HUGELY impressed that you were in a Taylor Swift video.

62. Jim in Denver says:

Pete -

What a kick! A great opportunity for you and your family.

Thanks for being Salt and Light in our world.

63. Roger says:

Rarely post but I feel compelled. For the truest love of God, love one another.
    Anonymous, God loves you. Well done in your analysis. The question thatni have is, do you feel His love? Responses to him/her, are you loving? If so, well done. If you don’t feel like you’ve loved, look in a mirror and ask yourself if you’ve denied a religious side of yourself that you don’t think Jesus accepts. He does. He loves the whole body, just not just those that seem warm and accepting.

Be His and love

Glad you had fun with your family in the video too.

64. Jenny says:

I think this was a great opportunity for your family! I see nothing wrong with the video or the song!

65. [...] I guess you really did it this time Posted: September 26, 2010 by pgowesky in God, Life Tags: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, 2010, Forgiveness, Healing, Hope, MTV, Pete Wilson, Restoration, Taylor Swift, VMA's 0 I love music.  I enjoy making music, listening to music, and finding new music.  I happened to catch a portion of MTV’s Video Music Awards two weeks ago (the VMA’s).  I have been on the fence about a particular artist until recently.  I’m talking about none other than Taylor Swift.  It sealed the deal for me when several weeks ago now she included one of my favorite pastors, Pete Wilson and his family in her most recent video.  Check that story out here. [...]

66. Chris says:

Hi Pastor Pete. I have been a fan of your church for the past year. A friend pointed me too “Backseat Jesus”. Our church is very similar to yours.
    As a singer and musician I know that the music industry is a very influential tool to shape the minds and emotions of people. I think it was an awesome opportunity to show the love of Christ with some people that many Christians turn their noses up at. We need to be more of an influence in that industry. People spend way too much time complaining about what others do. Artists in the music industry have all kinds of people trying to influence them to go the wrong way. We should be the first ones to step up or get involved in their lives.
    I pray for more opportunities for you to be able to get into places where noone else is willing to go. I want to do the same thing. Christ loves people “the way they are”. We should do the same.
    God Bless you…