Light at the End of the Tunnel

Our teams spent another day (day 4)  out amongst the flooded homes of Nashville ripping up carpet, cutting out drywall and helping clean up. We ran into a contractor who was actually charging $8,000 to do what one of our teams is doing for FREE in about two hours.

In another crazy set of circumstances I got to sit down with Anderson Cooper on the set of his show for a quick dinner over pizza as we talked about flooding, importance of volunteerism, social media, and life.

96802405

No! We did not coordinate our outfits. :)

Most profound statement he said to me came after I asked him, “How is it that you live in such crisis every day?  You go from one painful event to the next and the next and the next.” He said. “Pete, when you’ve experienced as much pain as I have you actually become more comfortable being with people who are also in pain. At least they’re real. No masks.”  Interesting. Might have to explore that further one day. He mentioned the Tennessee Flood Fund we started on his show last night and we’re praying it will generate some much needed financial assistance for those suffering major setbacks here in Nashville.

Love this short video  Matt Singleton put together. It still gives me chills to think we were riding on a boat through the neighborhoods of Nashville.

Have I told you lately how proud I am of you Cross Point!! It’s amazing how you guys keep going. You’re kicking exhaustion and sleep depravity in the teeth and I love it. You’re making a difference. Keep it up. Today is our last weekday to be out in the streets and it all culminates Saturday with a MASSIVE serving Saturday starting at 9:00 a.m.

I’m praying for 2,000 volunteers to show up!! You won’t want to miss being part of the day that Cross Point rises up and impacts this city by loving on our neighbors. On Saturday you can either go to the Belleuvue campus or the Nashville campus. You choose. See you there at 9 a.m. For any help, or further directions, you can always go to crosspoint.tv for more information.

43 Responses to “Light at the End of the Tunnel”

1. Can’t wait to help tomorrow!
    .-= Lindsey Nobles´s last blog ..Come On…Let’s Hang Out at Catalyst =-.

2. Becky says:

I’m praying you have at least 2,000 volunteers and more! So great to see your community come together! If I lived in Nashville I would definitely be there! :)
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..Fear =-.

3. britt says:

So proud to be a part of Cross Point. Wes and I will be out there tomorrow.

I’ve been a huge Anderson Cooper fan for a long time and that was such an interesting response he gave you. I often wondered what gave him the nerve to head to Africa on the back of a British army truck as a 17 year old, catching malaria in Kenya, and then from CIA intern and Yale to Burma and Vietnam.
    Having his dad die when he was 11 and his brother commit suicide must have set him on his unusual course.

4. Kevin M. says:

That is awesome Pete! May God continue to empower you and your church to serve those around you. I will pray that you get the 2000 volunteers that you are seeking! :)
    .-= Kevin M.´s last blog ..Favourite Links Friday 5/7/10 =-.

5. It’s really ironic, but this is point ans case of my blog post this morning. We are praying for your community, and strength for your awesome church members.

That Anderson Cooper quote is quite profound, too. Chewing on that. I hear a sermon in there…and/or ten sermons. ch:
    .-= Christopher Hopper´s last blog ..Relative to What? =-.

6. Rachel says:

As I was watching the video, I was thinking how amazing it is that something so vital to life can also be so destructive.

I hope you get the 2000 volunteers you’re asking for!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..An apology to my mother: =-.

7. My husband and I are preparing to be in Nashville Saturday. We leave Knoxville tonight and can’t wait to be 2 of the 2000 serving the Nashville Community!!
    .-= Nicole Hawker´s last blog ..Shifting Winds =-.

8. Sarah says:

You and Anderson Cooper? Wow!

I’d come help out if I could……
    but you’ll all continue to be in my thoughts.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..How I Spent My Cinco De Mayo =-.

9. Maureen says:

AWESOME!!!!
    .-= Maureen´s last blog ..Obsession: Camels =-.

10. Julie says:

Crosspoint is doing amazing things! You all are the epitome of what loving your neighbor as yourself is truly about! I will be praying for the Crosspoint team as you all continue your great work helping the flood victims!
    .-= Julie´s last blog ..Boys, Boys, Boys =-.

11. Alison says:

Praying for all the volunteers that have been working this week and praying for the 2,000 for tomorrow!
    .-= Alison´s last blog ..Book Review: "Plan B" by Pete Wilson =-.

12. Rachel says:

Evan and I will be there bright and early!!

13. Buddy Knight says:

Those who cannot come are praying for you!

I think it is so wonderful how God used this event to bring you the opportunity to speak w/ AC and to show the loving heart of Jesus through His Church’s work! PTL!
    .-= Buddy Knight´s last blog ..Now available:SEX, KIDS, & THE INTERNET™, 4th Edition =-.

14. Chad Estes says:

This is great, Pete! Thanks for sharing this story. I’ll be passing it along to others to read as well.
    .-= Chad Estes´s last blog ..The National Day of Prayer is like Mother’s Day =-.

15. Jeff says:

Interesting take by Cooper. I can understand it…I feel more comfortable with people in recovery from whatever addictions. Because it hurts to recover, but at least we’re all real and dealing with it.

Continuing to pray for you down I-40 in Memphis!

16. Falguni says:

I will be there to help out :)

Pete, have you read AC’s book “Dispatches From the Edge”? It is so good and it will break your heart to see how much he went through. I cried thru most of it :(

I wish I could meet him! He is one of my heros! ;)

17. [...] Stuff I’m Reading Jump to Comments Light at the End of the Tunnel [...]

18. Jenn says:

Your church rocks!!
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Olympic Trip =-.

19. Angie says:

I understand your conversation with Anderson Cooper
    because I knew a local news reporter who covered
    the Columbia disaster.
    I couldn’t help but ask her, ” How can you do a news report on something filled with such tragedy?”
    I remember she looked at me and said,
    ” I do what I do, because its how I minister to people. They have to see true reality sometimes, to have a
    reason to hope at all.”

20. Kim says:

I’m not a Nashville resident, but I’m praying for all of you this week!

Stumbled across your blog from a year old post on Gitzen Girl and couldn’t believe the first post – Anderson Cooper! I was watching the podcast of last night’s AC360 episode just as I came across your blog. I’m a huge Anderson Cooper fan. He has such a big heart for hurting people, and I pray for him every day.

Cross Point looks like a great church, and I hope to check it out next time I’m in Nashville.

21. Lisa says:

I don’t live in Nashville but I have been following all of you through social media this week as you go through this tragedy. I was moved to tears last night watching Anderson Cooper. America needs to stand up and take notice to the heart of your community. Pete you are an amazing leader, taking on this type of tragedy is not easy but you and your staff have done it with grace, humility, and such a servants heart. Your church and community have one my heart without even ever meeting any of you in person. If I ever had to move, Nashville and crosspoint would be high on my first choice list.

22. woody says:

Praying for you, your team, your volunteers and your family Pete. Every day now since the flood.

Cross Point is what the big-C Church looks like. God is so gonna bless your efforts…

23. Susan says:

We will be working in Kingston Springs at our “community work day” — obviously, we are together in spirit, as are many others around Tennessee.

24. [...] which is coordinating thousands of volunteers to help people at their point of need. Way to go Pete Wilson and church! http://www.vimeo.com/11531163 swfobject.embedSWF("http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf", [...]

25. tam says:

LOVE the outstanding example CP is setting!

and for the thousandth and first time…

i am SO proud of you all!
    .-= tam´s last blog ..How do you choose? =-.

26. My heart has been so heavy all week that I haven’t been able to be out there with everyone, helping hands-on. Tomorrow will be the first day for me. I’m sure it will be a heavy, emotional day, but I can’t wait!!
    .-= Grant Jenkins´s last blog ..BOOK REVIEW: Plan B by Pete Wilson =-.

27. Art Wasem says:

Well I found out before I left I’m on the pink team so I doubt we are going to coordinate, Natalie even asked me if I was ok with that. haha, Thnx again for letting me help. Remember Real men that demo wear pink

28. Cheryl Lewis says:

Our son plays playoff baseball in Atlanta until noon on Saturday, but we’re available from then (well, after travel) until Sunday night. There are four of us. Know of any other opportunities for us to help?
    .-= Cheryl Lewis´s last blog ..Remembering Haiti =-.

29. Shaun Groves says:

Dude. He’s short. ; )

I’m proud of you, Pete. And your church. Can’t wait to work alongside you all next week. Keep going! God’s doing incredible work through you all.
    .-= Shaun Groves´s last blog ..This Is Nashville =-.

30. Got home yesterday, Tom was able to drive out of the development finally! River road was a river!! Power went out yesterday, got up, took the Anya, Taylor and Kieran over to Beech Bend to work with Blake today! We plan on being somewhere with Crosspoint tomorrow!
    Praying for health for all during this clean up…
    .-= Lorrie Harden´s last blog ..The Tooth Fairy… =-.

31. Chad Ray says:

Pete,
    Although I don’t think we’ve formally met, it has been an honor this week to say that I am a part of a church like Crosspoint! With a church so big sometimes its hard to get through the bunches, but I’m honored by your passions and honest openness with everything, especially this week. I’ve been out there 3 days working along side this new church family of mine, met many great people, but I want to continue this work!! I know life will start to get back to normal, but I would love to somehow get with you about keeping the work going even during the week for those of us who are on the road or working during the weekends! I’m honored to get to serve alongside a staff like this!
    .-= Chad Ray´s last blog ..I Chase the Fireflies =-.

32. Kristi says:

WOW Pete you seem to stop! You and all of the Crosspoint members have been amazing reps of Jesus this week! It was so rewarding to meet and that you for all you’ve done and continue to do in my family’s life. Tonight was the start of a 16 week outreach project our young adults are doing with the movie: To Save A Life. The point in the movie when Jake the unchurched kid asked the Youth pastor and members “How can something like this happen to us and it not change us?” after his childhood friend kills himself in the halls of the highschool, is so profound! It’s those moments we have to continue to praise God and see him shine brighter than ever in the darkest of places!” it has taken everything in me to let God be incontrol this week and pray for all of you and not drive to Nashville!” At group tomorrow I am going to show Matt’s video as a tool to the flood of people around us that are hurting and once again use Crosspoint as an example of how church is suppose to step up to a call and out to those in need! All of are prayers will be with all of you and for you to be the new standard vs the Unchristian one the world has seen too much of!
    Blessing and strength be with you!
    Kristi L Schutter

33. Ron Swanson says:

Great work!
    Praying & giving for you guys now and over the long haul!

34. INCREDIBLE!

I hope 2,000 are being moved to be the hands and feet for Him — may more of His power be working through y’all today!

Thanks for posting the video. So real.
    .-= Faith Barista | Bonnie´s last blog ..Now That The Ink Has Dried =-.

35. jessica says:

That is so awesome that God provided such an opportunity for you two to talk!
    I, too read Anderson’s book several years back and came away just aching for him. Such tragedy in his life and such longing for answers and contentment, too. I’ve been praying for him since!

Keep up with the great work… with your ministry and flood relief!

Praying for y’all here in Georgia!

36. Jill says:

Were you able to talk to AC about Jesus? As someone who prays about being bolder and taking advantage of every moment I am always interested in learning from others in how they do it. I am weary of falling short in that area and want to be different. And wonder if not sharing during those “this may be your only opportunity” moments is the same as denying Him before men. That scares me.

37. [...] Pete Wilson Posted in [...]