Mindlessly Moving Through Life

Mindlessly doing things because all our friends do them is pretty much 90 percent of what society does. Sad, but true.

If you don’t believe me here’s a case in point.

Crocs

I mean what other reason could you give for wearing these things?

I was reading an interesting article last night about how our eating habits are formed by those we eat with most often. The article was pointing to a principle I’ve found true most of my life. My physical habits, spiritual methods and thought patterns are often influenced by the people I hang out with more than I would like to admit.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by this, 1 Corinthian 15:33 says “Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character.”

Not exactly sure how I balance this with personal evangelism and the time I spend with people in my life whose lives are not where they should be. However, I think the warning is simple. Be very careful who you allow into the inner circle of your life and whatever you do don’t just mindlessly adopt the thoughts, actions, and patterns of the people around you.

Are the people in your “inner circle” helping guide you to become the person God designed you to be?

51 Responses to “Mindlessly Moving Through Life”

1. Jim F. says:

The goal for me is to be iron sharpenng iron with those on the inner circle. I want to have people that challenge me to be a better Christian and challenge me when I am struggling. I find that my wife and I have this type of relationship and that one is the most important too me.

My wife and a friend hve started a new ministry that is helpful to women. You can check it out at http://www.afterthemiracle.com
    .-= Jim F.´s last blog ..Open eyes =-.

2. Sarah says:

I would have to say yes, but that could be optimistic.

Say no to Crocs people, just say no.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..T-Minus =-.

3. Falguni says:

My accountability group that I have had for the past 10yrs are the most challenging and Godly women in my life who aren’t afraid to speak truth and honesty. They push me to be more like Christ! Thankful for these amazing women (Kiran, Karen, Cissy, Amanda–I had to give them a shout out :)
    .-= Falguni´s last blog ..Wish These Were Mine…. =-.

4. Anita says:

I am blessed to have close family and friends who fulfill that role in my life. I used to think that ALL of my friends had to be like that inner circle should be, and I missed so much. I understand now that I can’t be the person God designed me to be and have life look like that.

It can be difficult to keep my balance, and some times are harder than others. It really depends on what task is laid before me, or how lazy I’m getting if I’m not working hard at something specific. Thankfully I have some wise people in my inner circle who aren’t afraid to tell me the truth.
    .-= Anita´s last blog ..Christianese =-.

5. Pete Wilson says:

@Falugine, 10 years worth of accountability. That’s awesome!

6. Danny says:

Bahaha, I know where that picture came from. That’s awesome, that website is hilarious. :)
    .-= Danny´s last blog ..Enormity =-.

7. Paula says:

Oooh, I like this!

First of all, I DO NOT OWN a snuggie or a pair of crocs – no matter how popular they are, they’re just ugly! :)

My mother and I always disagreed on this topic. She preferred that I didn’t have really any contact with non-believers or kids who could potentially be “bad influences” – even if she didn’t know them well. She feared I would want to become like them.

But I was always very involved in youth group and maintained close contact with many of my church friends while at school and out socializing. However, I insisted on reaching out to many who weren’t and developed some great friendships with them. It was great to have my faithful friends around me to keep the balance. But I’ve always had my little motto: “the light of Christ within me shines brighter in a world of darkness, than a world of light”.

I just always have to remember to have the oil refilled in my lamp and maintain accountability to those who I know to be true to keeping me the strongest and on track with who God wants for me to be.

8. CFloyd says:

OMGoodness, I’m not the only one? Those shoes are so ugly and so funky!! We never did get on that train. Still can’t get over molded foam as shoes… :P You’re so funny Pete, but it’s so true, only because it became a trend…
    .-= CFloyd´s last blog ..Enduring and Not Giving Up =-.

9. sheri says:

Never have, never will own crocs! (But I do own black patent leather Dansko clogs like everyone else where I teach, so even though I’m pretending to be above this, I’m really not!) :)

It is a struggle for me, too, to balance being a ‘fisher of men’ with some of my friends and not get sucked into their way of life. It’s almost a physical relief to spend time with my Godly friends after too much time away from them…

10. Pete Wilson says:

@Sheri, I don’t think any of us escape this. We all fall victim. :)
    .-= Pete Wilson´s last blog ..Mindlessly Moving Through Life =-.

11. Joey says:

A shoe for every color of the rainbow….And no on the “inner circle people”

12. Lauren Kelly says:

Your blog always challenges me and makes me think! I think that’s what keeps bringing me back. Thank you for that!!
    .-= Lauren Kelly´s last blog ..They mean business! =-.

13. Rachel says:

Word.

Especially on the crocs. Guilty, I’m ashamed to admit… I don’t wear them in public though. Not anymore. ;)

This is so true. I’ve seen it happen so often. Sometimes, I wonder if it’s better to spend the majority of your time alone than with bad influences. I find language is especially easy to pick up.
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Are You Ready For Some Pizza Dip? =-.

14. Jessica says:

I walked away from my inner circle for just that reason. Acoountability and truth were not a two-way street. It was difficult for me to grasp that my “friends” within the faith community were those that were not willing to live in truth…like Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. And they let me walk away – what does that tell you?

They had the most influence and unfortunately did the most heart damage.

FYI…I own a pair of those crocs…in grape purple. Do I wear them? Only to play in the mud or hike a stream with my kids. Why did I buy them? ’cause everyone else had a pair :) Oh my… I’m still a work in progress.
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..Way too Fast =-.

15. Laretha says:

Pastor Pete, I am SO blessed to do life with amazing, Godly women! Several years ago I prayed for God to bring Godly women into my life and He is so faithful to answer our prayers! I have 3 girls I am really close to. They are the women who can tell me the things that are hard to hear but truth. They are women I trust with my children. They are the women God gave me. Only He doesn’t just answer our prayer…these women came with Godly men that love my husband and he gets to do life with them.

We are so blessed to have friends that are like minded – the help to ground us, help us be salt and light.

God gives us exceedingly abundantly more than we could ask or hope!!!
    .-= Laretha´s last blog ..Blog Love =-.

16. Jan C. says:

My husband has been guiding me since 1978 to be the person God means me to be. I am firmly and fully convinced of that. And I love his family to the moon and back. But sometimes their views on religion (we are all Catholics) do not feel right to me. They often seem too focused on following the exact words rather than on following the meaning of the words. It comes out as judgmental to me, and it is assumed I agree with it all, but I don’t, and I never have.

What do you do when your inner circle is well-intentioned but you don’t agree with them, and you don’t want to, or can’t leave that particular circle?!!!

17. marla says:

Good food for thought Pete. I have been thinking about this very thing lately and how it pertains to me and how I pertain to others.

18. Pete Wilson says:

@Marla, are you talking about the way I behave during our Rook games?
    .-= Pete Wilson´s last blog ..Mindlessly Moving Through Life =-.

19. Jason says:

On the crocs I have one valid reason…my autistic son likes the sensory feeling of those shoes on his feet.

As for an inner circle…I’m not sure I have one. At least, not a “meet in person” kind of inner circle. I have some guys I know through the internet but I really don’t have a Godly man or men around me here that I can trust.

Probably need to work on that. ;)
    .-= Jason´s last blog ..Know Your Enemy =-.

20. Some are. Some aren’t. Candidly I struggle with this ALOT.

I love having different groups of friends. But sometimes I feel the pull of the different groups influencing me and I wonder who I am really am. I have really tried to focus on transparency and having one voice but it is hard because we do emulate the habits of those we are around.
    .-= Lindsey Nobles´s last blog ..Indulge Me =-.

21. *~Michelle~* says:

I have two pairs of those butt ugly Crocs and yes, I wear them in public

*bag on head*

OK, I try to surround myself with Believers as much as possible…..going with the whole iron sharpens iron. I also selected only a certain few families to create our homeschooling group/co-op so as there would not be an issue when it came to science and creationism subjects(evolution theories make my blood boil)

I do feel that when I am put in larger, more diverse groups….it presents an opportunity for me to share Jesus and/or hopefully be a light in a dark place.
    .-= *~Michelle~*´s last blog ..Phony Bologna =-.

22. Connie says:

I try to surround myself with people who inspire me spiritually and morally. Sometimes it is hard.

As for the crocs, I love them. i am 58 and have always had a job where I have to stand for long periods of time. No more tired and aching legs, sore feet and hurting back.

Besides I adore the many colors…so bright and cheerful!!!!

23. Torybee says:

I’m simply strange. I I suppose I am influenced by others but tend in some ways to be a “black sheep”. I’m just different. On the playground with the other moms they may not be Christian but they are “good people”…. no swearing, not morality issues. We definitely have different beliefs but I love discussing different beliefs. I’d rather discuss that stuff or religion than hair and make up which are things I know little about (despite the fact that I’m a woman)
    Ironically, there was one place that I did start developing bad habits and that was online on a children’s clothing board. I hate to admit that I may have been a bit addicted to buying my 4yo adorable, matching clothes and would frequent a discussion board where others had the same interests. (addiction?) I realized that even though they abbreviated their bad words (WTH, and worse, etc) I’d inwardly be saying them and there were times afterwards that when things happened to me inwardly I’d be swearing. This may not seem so horrible but I have never been one that swore, even inwardly, for any reason. I wasn’t exposed to it and my first thoughts were not to say bad words.
    Plus, there’s lots of drama on these boards, and cattiness and just the whole “Me” emphasis while agonizing over which shoes to pair with which outfit and complaining and all that. I became very critical.
    I never got to a place where I felt I had to stop, after joining a new church and making church more a priority (wish I could say God a priority but it was church!) my interest in this discussion board waned.

Sorry so long; I just find it ironic that for me it wasn’t even influence of my circle of friends; it was through the internet that I was able to indulge myself in what actually was a very unhealthy habit on so many different levels, not to mention the money, the (not) communicating or being honest with my husband, the hiding of the new clothes I bought, etc.
    .-= Torybee´s last blog ..That I Should Gain =-.

24. Harold says:

@Jason I’m like you I guess. What circle? I don’t know that I can form a two point straight line. Sad but true.
    .-= Harold´s last blog ..Isaias Gabriel – Making The Difference in the DR =-.

25. kc says:

Crocs Rock!
    .-= kc´s last blog ..Two in One Month =-.

26. amy says:

I hate to admit this but I love crocs. Yes, they are ugly but they are so comfortable.

27. Maureen says:

Ugh! I hate crocs!!! Everyone here wears them, and I mean EVERYONE! Israeli’s are basically known for 2 thing: 1: being Jewish. 2: wearing Crocs. Even the Ultra Orthodox wear them…..

We have been invaded!!!
    .-= Maureen´s last blog ..And you thought Monday’s were bad… =-.

28. Anne U. says:

Thank you. That felt like a slap to my face. While I fall short of God’s glory, I know He still loves me and you; we’re all sinners, and no sin is worse than another. It’s a shame that we can’t see sin the way He does (and, yea, I’m just as judgmental as the next Christian) It’s no wonder Jesus came to save and not judge while He spent His time on Earth. Id also like to point out He hung out with His apostles and not the Pharisees; who’d He spent more time with?

Also, I own a pair of Crocs. Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it. Comfortable sandals that look good with socks (yup, it’s true). And I can wear them in winter!

29. Pete Wilson says:

@Anne U, I was with you until you said crocs looked good with socks. :)
    .-= Pete Wilson´s last blog ..Mindlessly Moving Through Life =-.

30. Pete Wilson says:

@Jason, that’s an excellent reason to wear crocs. And I agree with everyone else. They are SO comfortable.
    .-= Pete Wilson´s last blog ..Mindlessly Moving Through Life =-.

31. gretchen says:

what if you owned a pair before anybody else? I wore duck-feet orange crocs before they were cool….or at least…popular.
    .-= gretchen´s last blog ..Jell-O Olympics =-.

32. Jim Watters says:

So good Pete! Thanks for the post -

33. Kathi Waddle says:

I guess my “inner circle” would be some of the people I work with in Awana. Like a great story – I had never really tithed before until 2003 after a conversation I had with the lady that worked with me in 6th grade girls Awana. God used her to help me take that step of faith to be obedient to Him in my finances. And since I now have three part time jobs and my unnemployment/uneremployment for part of the summer is over with I am going to start that up again.

And as for crocs I don’t own any as of yet. I may eventually just to say I have a pair. If I can get them in Bulldog red for sure :) College football season starts up tomorrow!! Yay Fresno State!! Go DOGS!! Beat the Aggies!!! Feed the band!!!

34. Kathi Waddle says:

When you read my blog again make sure you check today’s post (September 4th). I had an “adventure” yesterday and God was awesome and Jesus helped me get my tire off :) Plus I added music and today’s video is Big Fish by FFH :)

35. Faye says:

I had an inner circle. They went a way I wasn’t willing to go, though I followed the path with them for a time.

I have an inner circle. It took making apologies for getting on that wrong path and help to work my way back. It’s good to know that they love me enough to not let me go on my own merry way, and to not take my excuses.

Crocs? I’ve got some. Wear them for yard work and that quick run to the store/post office sometimes.
    .-= Faye´s last blog ..Is he right? =-.

36. Brody says:

Note to self: Don’t wear Crocks to Pete’s house.
    .-= Brody´s last blog ..She Will Offend You… Maybe =-.

37. Holly says:

I fought against Crocs for 2 years after moving to CO, but finally gave in. They are very, very comfy and the kids love them. Easy on, easy off, and easy to clean.

38. Big Nanny says:

I do have people in my inner circle who are challenging me to be all that God wants me to be. I’m going on mission to Africa with two of them and we are so excited to see the plan that God has for us there.

My husband saw someone on TV wearing crocs years ago and looked at me and said, “Please, don’t buy those.” He actually said some additional non- politically correct comments about the person wearing them but I’ll leave that out…the point is, I submitted:)…my feet have never walked a mile in crocs.
    .-= Big Nanny´s last blog ..Taste and see that the Lord is good =-.

39. Rachel Kemper says:

I know you said you’re not sure how you balance this with personal evangelism/time spent with those in your life not where they should be…but I’d love to hear more of your thoughts on this. Do you think that having a solid inner circle of friends/family/mentors in turn allows more ‘safe’ freedom to step out in personal evang?? This is such a hard area to juggle/balance. We are called to both fellowship & evangelism…but without the proper balance we can find ourselves either wading in our comfort zone or slowly furthering ourselves from God by allowing the habits of others to distract us from Him. THIS would be a good sermon series…

40. I must say that, for the first time, I actually do. I’ve always had lots of Christian and non-Christian friends, and my closest friends were always those I just clicked with. However, after having moved to a new city and joining a new church, the person I “clicked with” the most happens to be a very dedicated Christ-follower who challenges me! Before, the only time I was challenged was through sermon podcasts. (Totally not the same.)
    .-= Vanity of Vanities´s last blog ..Intercessory Saturday =-.

41. Hilary says:

Crocs are comfy! I swear it.

42. Jenn says:

As for Crocs, I’ll never wear them, but I have bought them for my kids before… They’re so easy to put on and we’re on the beach a lot; they’re way more comfy that aqua socks!
    That is such a good question. I’m really struggling with that since we moved to this island five years ago. Almost all of my friends are not Christians, and I know I shine God’s love to them, but I’m sure they influence me in the wrong way a little and I feel really alone sometimes… I started a women’s bible study in our home in the spring and I love that, but we don’t see each other enough!
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Housesitting Fun =-.

43. Julie says:

Pete, I sure wish there was a way I could answer these things anonymously. I could change my name, but I’d feel like I was lying. LOL

Let’s just say, the greatest portion of my friends aren’t moving me toward God, but I’m working on changing that.

44. Vicki says:

Crocs will never be part of my shoe wear! I wish I could say that my ‘inner circle’ was made up of good, solid Christians. Sadly, my inner circle is a few family members and non-believing friends – both of which stood by me long before and after the ‘Christian’ ones have….I struggle with this as I point the finger at myself but have too much hurt to try again with my Christian brothers and sisters to risk having them close again. Was really burned and am slowly working back to gaining trust with the church and church family. I am not alone in this but with hope, we are a minority of folk treated this way.

45. Pete A. says:

Pete, for many years I was blessed to have a whole series of pastors who guided me very well and very lovingly. The town where we live now is the first one ever that doesn’t have anyone like that. Unfortunately the churches here all seem weak. They’re more interested in fighting each other (you’d think their denomination’s superintendent will be the one conducting the Last Judgment) and in promoting their own political party than they seem to be in loving God or loving their neighbors. Sad. But, thank God, that wasn’t true in most places where we’ve lived.

Your comment on avoiding bad company gets especially interesting if you read it along with something else Paul wrote earlier in the same book. The two work together give a green light to your interest in evangelism, and explain how Jesus could spend so much time with sinners.
    In my Living Bible, 1 Corinthians 5:1-13 says in part,
    “When … I said not to mix with evil people … what I meant was that you are not to keep company with anyone who claims to be a brother Christian but indulges in sexual sins, or is greedy, or is a swindler, or worships idols, or is a drunkard, or abusive. Don’t even eat lunch with such a person.”
    He goes on to say it’s God’s job, not ours, to judge those outside the church. Which opened the door for Jesus, and us, to evangelize them.

46. Randy Wood says:

Pete, Since resigning as pastor we are trying to find a new inner circle. Its weird and very challenging.
    .-= Randy Wood´s last blog ..I StRuGgLe With Envy Part 2 =-.

47. Pete Wilson says:

Do you think that having a solid inner circle of friends/family/mentors in turn allows more ’safe’ freedom to step out in personal evang??

Great question Rachel. My answer would be yes. I absolutely think your inner circle gives you the freedom to step out of your comfort zone to build relationships with people far from God. Your inner circle can give you feedback if they see your life being swayed in certain areas. Love your thoughts on this.
    .-= Pete Wilson´s last blog ..Mindlessly Moving Through Life =-.

48. Kendra says:

Ha ha! Love the CROC illustration! I do, however, own a ‘bone’ color of crocs… worn mostly around the house for my thorn in the flesh, heel spurs… but I DO think they’re ugly… lol

Good reminder to not follow mindlessly…
    .-= Kendra´s last blog ..Today and Tomorrow =-.

49. Thanks Pete!
    .-= Rachel Kemper´s last blog ..Eternal Ocean =-.

50. Becky says:

I was a SOLID Croc hater. For years.
    And then I put them on.

Changed my life. It’s like walking on air. :)

Good post.
    .-= Becky´s last blog ..Kanye, Part Deux =-.

51. First off I am a believer. Yet i believe God created that fugue state of mindlessness to help us at critical times in our life when a state of mindfulness might be more than we can bare. I believe He and our faith carry us at these times. For example; marital separations and death. If we truly remained in a state of mnindfulness; I think we might just lose our minds. Just my opinion but something to consider.