Because I Love Her

Wicked-Wallpaper-wicked-2669689-1024-768

On the front end I would like to be very clear my wife has made many more sacrifices in our marriage than I have.

However, if I may brag on myself I made a huge one last night. I went with her to see the Broadway musical Wicked. I remember when we were first dating there was a 3 to 4 week window where I tried to pretend like I was the kind of guy who enjoyed the fine arts. It seemed like adopting this role was going to be important to win the heart of the woman I loved. Once I discovered I could win her heart without adopting a love for the “arts” I quickly ditched my pretend passion.

And to be honest, I wanted to be “that guy.” I wanted to want to go to the art gallery, and the Broadway play, but it just isn’t me. Now I’ll sit on a hill and watch the sunset with you every night and go for long walks, and even watch a chic flick or two, but I’m just not a huge fan of the plays, musicals and art galleries.

But I’m learning there are some things I should love simply because she loves them. Wicked was one of those things. I enjoyed it for no other reason then she enjoyed it so much.

What is the one thing you “love” only because your spouse or friends love it?

58 Responses to “Because I Love Her”

1. Sometimes you have to “take one for the team.” I have had to become a fan of Notre Dame Football for my wife. Fortunately, I am a University of Cincinnati grad and I have nothing against ND and I like football. Now you can bet if/when UC ever plays ND in football, I will be rooting for my Bearcats.
    .-= ChrisW (Churchpunk)´s last blog ..Toy Story Toys =-.

2. Sarah says:

Going to a sports bar & playing pool. But I’ll go if people are going, and I’m invited.
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Back To Boston: Op: Pre-Op =-.

3. Lorelei King says:

That’s great! I am jealous. I wanted to go see it but things just didn’t work out.
    And btw, I LOVE theatre . . . especially musicals.

4. Used to be going shopping. I used to despise that! Then it was moving furniture about every week. Now it is staying home and doing absolutely nothing. I would much rather be active so I ride my bicycle at lunchtime. I have given up wanting a Harley just for her. Does that count? :)
    .-= bill (cycleguy)´s last blog ..Worthy? =-.

5. sherri says:

I pretend to love watching my grown son participate in cage fighting/mma.

I hate it. But I go.
    .-= sherri´s last blog ..Calling All Book Lovers! =-.

6. Amy says:

My husband is with you except I don’t think anyone would believe him if he tried to fake a love for the arts.
    I dragged him to Phantom of the Opera a few months ago. He was miserable! I think his Blackberry got more attention than the stage.
    Wicked is coming to Charlotte next year and I fully plan on dragging him back to the theater again.
    There is something about seeing a group of people so talented working together that is a bit magical. Maybe because it’s one of those thing that I simply can NOT do.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Last First Day of Preschool =-.

7. Tyler Jewell says:

You’ don’t have to like that stuff…you’re a man. I don’t think any man will ever love shopping because his wife loves shopping…b/c lets face it..that’s the WORST. Yeah..I guess chick flicks are one thing I’ll put myself through. It’s only 1.5 hours, and I like to make my own version of mystery science theater chick flick edition commentary.
    .-= Tyler Jewell´s last blog ..September Edition of things that annoy me =-.

8. I love the theatre so I can’t relate to you there. And I am not married, but when I am in relationships I can’t STAND to be on the phone (with anyone), but I usually make that sacrifice when I know the person I am dating likes talking on the phone.

9. B Stone says:

I read Brandi’s post first. She said don’t believe what you say and I don’t. Most men do enjoy it– once they are talked into going. My hubby does enjoy most artsy events, but I am going to Wicked without him. =) He did go to Phantom and LOVED it… don’t tell anyone.

10. WesHoward says:

Going to see any music show/band play. Not my thing at all. Could care less, but I will go if my friends are excited about it and want to go.

11. Anita says:

I love hearing about the inner workings of computer aided machines that house pharmaceuticals.

12. Jonathan says:

HGTV

I’m so not interested in watching others decorate. (I hope Julie isn’t reading this today.)

13. woody.mcminn@archong says:

Pete, that’s easy. With a wife and three daughters: Shopping. On vacation, on the weekend, at a moments notice, on my birthday, Fathers day, and anniversary. I “love” it. It’s just not right.

14. pete wilson says:

@jonthan, that’s classic!

15. Air shows. They are usually hot and loooonnnggg. But my husband performs and loves it so much. I get a kick out of seeing him sign autographs for plane obsessed little kids too… adorable!

16. I just read through the comments and “shopping” from the guys cracks me up. I cannot stand it when Hubs shops with me. That is a sacrifice I make for him because I’d much rather go alone. :)

Hmmm…but I’m not sure about whether I really make many of those kind of sacrifices. He’s into every single sport….I’m into none. But I do keep all of our kids while he plays. That seems to make him happy. I’m going to have to think about this one.

P.S. I love it when you and Brandi post about two sides of the same coin. Y’all are too cute!

17. Joni says:

Sports talk radio and ESPN shows Pardon the Interruption & Around The Horn

18. Harold says:

My wife has an incredible knack for decorating. She can look at a room for a few seconds, move a few items add one thing and you think you are in a different place. Early in our marriage she would drag me into these conversations starting like, “Can’t you just see it? Honey, just close your eyes and imagine it.” She would then ask me if I could see what she had described in such detail. I would explain that all I could see was the back of my eyelids. Word of advice to all the newly married guys out there, “Not the answer she was looking for.”

Anyway, over the years I have not only learned to appreciate decorating but now many times I start the decorating conversations in our home. Don’t get me wrong, she is still the queen of decorating at our house but now I am at least participate intelligently in the conversations.

On the flip side, Sherry hated football with a passion early in our marriage. I didn’t watch it on TV, (I knooooow) and didn’t talk about it.

This year my wife suggested we buy general admission season tickets to WKU’s football games. I, out of love, gave in and we can’t wait for the home opener Sept. 12th.

Isn’t God good.

btw watch out Tennessee, the Toppers are coming to Knoxville this weekend. You better hid your dog. :-)

19. *~Michelle~* says:

Football.

*ducking*
    .-= *~Michelle~*´s last blog ..Phony Bologna =-.

20. ransom33 says:

My husband loves the sea and will take any opportunity to go sailing. Last year he persuaded me (I must have been out of my mind at the time) to go sailing on a flotilla round the Greek islands. I have to say at this point I had never ever sailed before and suddently I found myself being skipper’s mate and having quite a lot of responsibility, specially since our two children (8 and 10 years old at the time) were on board too.

All was fine and dandy until one day we had force 8 winds and we had to harness ourselves and bring the boat into the harbour for one final time. I had to overcome all my fears of the sea and miraculously we managed to bring the boat into harbour safely after wrestling with strong wind and waves that kept rocking the boat sideways with great strength.

I have to say that I am proud of myself for getting through that and specially because it is something I did because I knew it meant so much to my husband to see me and the kids experience what he so loves. But I would be lying if I said that I enjoyed it just because he did. I have never been so frightened for my life and that of my family.

I thought that once I had tried it he would be dissuaded from taking us all on that kind of holiday again, but he seems even more determined to try a flotilla again. I don’t think I will be as supportive second time round.

By the way, I love musicals, theatre, ballet and all the rest of it but I hardly get to go because my husband hates it. He once came to the theater with me and fell asleep. In the middle of the play there was a shot as part of the plot and my husband woke up and jumped out of his seat. He was so loud that everyone realised, including the cast, that he had been asleep all along. I learnt my lesson. Don’t push people to do things they really don’t enjoy doing. I wish he’d learnt that lesson too after our sailing holiday.

21. Phil Chalos says:

Exercising together…need I say more

22. alison says:

CNBC…It drives me insane, but I watch it every afternoon, because that’s what he likes…And I think IIII have made much more effort to like his things than he has to like mine…such is life, right?

23. Shannon says:

Baseball.
    CSI: Miami.
    The Colony (a show on Discovery).
    Many, many movies.
    .-= Shannon ´s last blog ..It’s Giveaway Day! =-.

24. Jessica says:

Cars…my husband is obsessed with cars. He knows more about makes, models, engines and exhausts, tires and wheels, etc. And although I come from a family of auto-mechanics…I honestly have no clue what He is talking about.
    Seriously sometimes all I hear is that teacher’s voice from Charlie Brown…BUT I love how passionate he is about them, how much he knows, that he is able to spout off stats at the drop of a hat not to mention he is rather convenient to have around when your looking to buy a new car.

So I “suffer” through a car show (which is actually a lot of fun) or watch Motorweek or monster garage or pick up his favorite auto magazine. Because the things that make his “heart leap” are important to me.
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..How to Build a House of Prayer… =-.

25. i try to act interested in the pond you built in our backyard even though when our kids were younger in my head i’d hear, “death trap for small children.” :)

love you and thanks for your sacrifice!

26. Lori says:

Fishing or hunting shows and now we’re off to a NASCAR race.

I am glad my husband loves plays we both really enjoyed Wicked!

27. Brenda says:

I’m not a fan of stadium events, but because I want to be a good sport I’ll endure a professional baseball game. However I’ll need some cracker jacks to munch on while I’m people watching.
    .-= Brenda´s last blog ..Cereal for dinner =-.

28. Helen says:

Costumes. My husband wears costumes in public. We went to the Field Museum of Natural History with him in a pharoah costume. We went to see the Harry Potter movie with him in a I don’t know what costume. But he is a great guy, with a great sense of humor, and I can be proud that such a dear man loves me, even if he is wearing a goofy costume.
    .-= Helen´s last blog ..I Am Not as Tough as I Like to Pretend That I am…(Sorry) =-.

29. Jerry Watson says:

Shopping, camping out at the Holiday Inn, big cities,did I mention shopping?
    But, she takes part in things I like (fishing, camping in the outdoors, hiking, did I mention fishing?)so it’s a two way street.
    .-= Jerry Watson´s last blog ..Read All About it! =-.

30. Jan C. says:

Birding. And rocks.

I started out not caring much about either one, because I rarely noticed either one.

But since I’m married to a geologist who has been apes**t about birds since he was about 5 years old, I’ve learned to look down once in awhile and appreciate the striations in the rock I am walking over, or to look up once in awhile and notice the beauty of a bird navigating overhead.

In exchange, he watches “So You Think You Can Dance” with me and pretends to care about the color of the paint on our walls.
    .-= Jan C.´s last blog ..The one that takes a turn toward the bizarre . . . . =-.

31. my husband likes football and so do I, he likes to shop/spend more than I do which is weird and funny at the sametime. We even went to a mall for our honeymoon and it was his idea. I will tell you that there is Professional Wrestling on everynite if you have enough channels and if there were replaced with anything else I would be one happy girl. I know I know…..
    .-= Kristi Ottmar´s last blog ..fun CLASS =-.

32. kc says:

you’ve always been such a good guy. One day I hope to be able to be as ‘wicked’ as you.
    .-= kc´s last blog ..Two in One Month =-.

33. Zack says:

So I can agree that there are quite a bit of the “fine arts” that I just can’t appreciate.

But you have to admit, Wicked is pretty awesome.

You can’t tell me you’re not humming “Popular” at random times today…

admit it man, it’s a good show.

34. Pete Wilson says:

@Zach, totally busted. I’ve been humming a few tunes from last night. :)

35. Krislyn says:

Way to go Pete! But I have heard Witched is an awesome show.

One thing that popped in my mind was Sushi. I want to like it but I just can not get over the fact that it is raw fish. All my friends love love it .. So when we go to dinner, I pretend I will like it that time .. That my taste buds will enjoy the taste of the sea.. And everytime I walk out saying “I think I’ll stick with chicken!”
    .-= Krislyn´s last blog ..Happy Birthday Grace! =-.

36. Krislyn says:

Opps, Wicked .. Yes, I am a college graduate and know how to spell!
    .-= Krislyn´s last blog ..Happy Birthday Grace! =-.

37. Bill Renfrew says:

The EXACT same thing…theatre. Karen LOVES to go to the theatre. I had season tickets to TPAC for the last 9 years for one reason…simply because I loved looking over and seeing that big smile on my wife’s face. It made her happy and it was worth it for that single reason. I like seeing plays if they’re interesting and well done, but it makes for a very long night if it’s a boring show or the acting is bad. Even more true with musicals (too much music, not enough story). But Karen LOVES seeing plays…and that’s why we go. It makes a great date night.

38. Christine says:

Automotive car repair and rebuild shows. ZZZzzzzz…but against my will I learn stuff. And start to contribute to teh conversation. And I hate it. ;)
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..I Love Lists! And figs too, apparently… =-.

39. OneGirl says:

I have to admit I just put this exact comment on brandi’s blog..but Wicked is so good that it deserves two comments :)

I LOVE WICKED!!! I pulled up your page and right away I saw the pictures and my mouth literally opened and my thoughts switched from ‘I wonder if she wrote anything new’ to ‘AHHHHHH!!!!!! WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!’ and this is such a run on sentence. awesome. But yeah, Wicked is the best musical. EVER. there is no comparison.
    .-= OneGirl´s last blog ..Two "Firsts" In One Night =-.

40. Cole says:

I love shellfish. My girlfriend was allergic to shellfish. Therefore, I gave up eating shellfish. Now that she’s gone,
    I again eat shellfish (and love it.)

41. CFloyd says:

I finally learned to appreciate most sports simply because it’s fun watching my husband watch. AND it is a great way to stay connected with him. I just catch highlights in the news but I relay them to him and we conversate for a while. It shows him I love him, cause I do, I really, really do. :)
    .-= CFloyd´s last blog ..Enduring and Not Giving Up =-.

42. Jeff says:

I’m proud of you Pete! A little culture never hurt anybody, I have season tickets to the Symphony, can I interest you in taking your beautiful wife?

43. Jen says:

WWE. Hubby loves it, reads up on it (yes he knows it’s fake ;) ) and knows story lines form like, years and years ago. I have learned to enjoy it. I call it “the mans soap-opera”

I *TRIED* to get into MMA and UFC, but I just couldn’t. Too much blood and pain, and I just don’t see the point in it.
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Death in the Family =-.

44. NancyJ says:

My husband showed his love for me one Christmas when he surprised me with tickets to WICKED on Broadway – I cried. It was one of the most thoughtful gifts he ever gave me.
    I “enjoy” NASCAR for my husband. I’ll watch usually the end, try not to ask TOO many questions and I listen to the Nascar station with him in his truck on his Sirius radio.
    .-= NancyJ´s last blog ..Whole Bunch of This and That =-.

45. Julie says:

Motorcycles. They scare me to death but my parents and my 18 yo all have motorcycles and I have learned to let God have my fear. Something that started out a love for my husband and kids and developed into a real love and passion for me is football and extreme sports. As the mother of 3 sons I realized I needed to embrace their testosterone. LOL

46. Julie says:

Oh, I should add, the Lord blessed me with a daughter when my youngest son was almost 8, so now I’ve had to learn how to parent a daughter. Now I am learning to embrace dancing and gymnastics.

47. Pete Wilson says:

@Julie, I bet Brandi would say the same thing about our 4 wheelers. I’ve got a feeling they make her nervous at times.

48. Pete Wilson says:

@Jeff, I think the symphony would be nice and relaxing.

49. Julie says:

LOL Pete, one thing I thank God for daily is that I am NOT Travis Pastrana’s mother. THAT would take some faith. It takes a lot of work being the mom to boys. It’s just not in us to watch them live with reckless abandon. That said, I love love love watching the Xgames every August. I don’t feel such torment watching other people’s sons live dangerously.

50. Jenn says:

Yah, the UFC. When my hubbie watches it, I sit beside him and pretend to be a tough girl, but I close my eyes whenever there’s any blood involved… Yuch! And, I can’t look at their ears!!!
    Oh, that and talking about sound techniques, production tricks, studio gear, etc. (He works doing sound for live shows and in a recording studio). I work soooooooo hard to listen, but sometimes I glaze over and just hear white noise! ;)
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..Housesitting Fun =-.

51. Jeff says:

Done! I will set you up!

52. Pete Wilson says:

@Jenn, I don’t know if I call watch UFC even if my wife was into it. :)

53. Museums–she loves them, I hate them. From our dating years she’s always been trying to make me more “culturally aware.” I tried to get into…but I just found it so boring.

But I love her…and I endure. Pray for me…I think she’s set us up for another visit:(
    .-= Michael Holmes´s last blog ..THE REASONS GOD NEVER CALLED YOU TO WORK IN YOUR WEAKNESSES =-.

54. britt says:

When we were dating, I used to go skiing with him. Once I snagged him, I somehow got out of going… but maybe I’ve got to try it again. (I’m scrawny and always freezing)

I do try to act interested when he’s watching Myth Busters.

55. Des says:

I guess they’ll never base a romantic comedy on your life! ;-)

56. Jon-paul says:

You are a lucky man to have a wonderful wife and sweetheart. Enjoy these moments with her. You may actually lift those macho filters for a moment and really look at why she enjoys some of these things…you might discover something you like. You are always encouraging to grow and improve… Come on Pete, deep down inside you really are a Wicked fan!
    .-= Jon-paul´s last blog ..A Michael Jackson Remix Harmony To Remember =-.