Cross Point Bellevue to Launch in 2010

With less than two weeks to go before the launch of Cross Point North we announced this past Sunday we’ll be launching our 4th campus, Cross Point Bellevue, in early 2010. It was exciting to introduce Justin Davis and his family as our latest campus pastor.

Pete Wilson-Justin Davis and family

I’m the first to admit not every church is called to be a multi-site church, but we really feel this is a strategy God has called us to. I talked this past Sunday about why this strategy works for us. You can listen to the message HERE (which includes a lot of different plans for this next year)  but here are three of the reasons we love the multi-site strategy.

NEW CHURCHES REACH NEW PEOPLE

Why do new churches reach new people? I don’t have a clue, but they do.  When we launch Cross Point North in a few weeks there will be people in Goodlettsville, Hendersonville and  Springfield who will try church for the first time ever, or the first time in a long time.  Why? Because there aren’t already good churches in the area? NOPE. There are some great ones. It’s just that new churches reach new people.

IT’S A FRACTION OF THE COST

The reality is if we wanted to build a facility that could accommodate the number of people we can accommodate with our soon to be four campuses we would easily be looking at a $25 million facility. Is there anything wrong with spending 25 million on a building? Nope. Could we raise $25 million for a building? Sure. I have all the faith in the world if that’s what God called us to do that we could raise that kind of money. The problem is we don’t feel God’s called us to do that.

AN INCREASED OPPORTUNITY FOR LEADERSHIP AND MINISTRY

Here is the reality. I don’t like it but it’s true. The larger Cross Point grows the easier it is for individuals to hide out and assume that we don’t need their gifts and abilities. Whether your church runs 500 or 5,000 you only need so many people greeting because you only have so many doors. You only need so many people on stage leading worship.

On a human level, we believe our number one resource is people.

Every time we plant a new campus it requires a new group of people to step up and trust God like never before. It requires a group of people to step up and lead. It requires a group of people to partner together with their different gifts and abilities to form the body of Christ.

These are exciting days at Cross Point. I’m so proud to be a part of a church community that’s willing to take some risk to help people discover an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ.

36 Responses to “Cross Point Bellevue to Launch in 2010”

1. We’re committed to keeping our facility costs to a minimum so we can maximize our resources for ministry.

This is why I love your ministry. You keep the main thing, the main thing.
    .-= Andy Borgmann´s last blog ..Kentucky Lake Weekender: The End of Work Hard / Play Hard For A While =-.

2. Brittany says:

I love it! Love that we are growing rapidly but not becoming the HUGE mega church that people get lost in! Also what a great opportunity for people to come out of their shell and serve!! More reasons I love CP!!
    .-= Brittany´s last blog ..BUSY =-.

3. Megan says:

I’m praying for the launch of CP North and the people who live in the surrounding areas, strength for Justin and his family and that our people will step up where needed to love on the people who come!
    .-= Megan´s last blog ..Pray for Sergio =-.

4. Harold says:

That’s great!

Coming Sooner or Later, Crosspoint Antarctica! :-)
    .-= Harold´s last blog ..Isaias Gabriel – Making The Difference in the DR =-.

5. Chris Surratt says:

Well said Pete. One of the many reasons that I am excited to be joining the Cross Point team. It’s about reaching more people, not building bigger buildings!

6. I love your reasons and thoughts regarding your growth strategy – especially with respect to the people being your most valuable resource. Being intentional about pluggin them into leadership/service roles is vital. Awesome!
    .-= Jeremy Walker´s last blog ..When I Survey The Wondrous Cross – Tuesday Tunes =-.

7. Jason says:

Justin Davis leading the campus in Bellevue is a real testimony to Cross Point’s believe in the power of God’s restoration. Just seeing him listed as campus pastor encourages me.

You made me laugh when I read “You only need so many people on stage leading worship.” I once attended a huge church and applied for the worship team. Their response was they already had enough drummers and had seven on the waiting list but I could put my name on it if I wanted to do so. Then they said they needed people to clean the bathrooms and did I want to be a part of the “cleaning ministry”? (Not downplaying the importance of those who do that…but it felt like “we don’t need your gifts here.”)

I’ll admit that I was leery of CP before we came because it seemed like a mega-church. You shot that all down with one sermon on Sunday and I’m intrigued about a campus where I live (although the main campus is only 10 minutes down the highway.)
    .-= Jason´s last blog ..Sometimes the penalty for sin doesn’t go away =-.

8. Jim says:

i totally agree with the hiding out part
    .-= Jim´s last blog ..The Fine Line =-.

9. *~Michelle~* says:

Rock on! I love that your church is focusing on the increased opportunity for leadership and ministry.
    .-= *~Michelle~*´s last blog ..Phony Bologna =-.

10. Jennifer says:

Pete – Have you thought about rotating between the sites for your sermons instead of always having the other locations watch you on a screen? I think it’s awesome that Cross Point is expanding to Bellevue. That’s my part of town! But, honestly, I’m going to keep driving to Charlotte to hear you every Sunday because it’s just not the same as watching you on a screen.
    .-= Jennifer´s last blog ..I Yuh You =-.

11. sarah says:

Love it! Maybe one day there will be a Crosspoint East / Mt Juliet/ Hermitage :) Im dreaming :) and Im in :)
    .-= sarah´s last blog ..Peter Rabbit Relaxing =-.

12. Randy Wood says:

We are still waiting for you guys in Little Rock! :) I love what’s happening there!

13. Alison says:

This is really exciting…makes me want to move to the Nashville area.

However…I agree with Randy Wood…Little Rock, AR would be good too!
    .-= Alison´s last blog ..A Beautiful Site to Behold =-.

14. Our family is so excited about the Bellevue campus ,being at Gower at the beginning of the first Crosspoint has transformed our lives and I know this new campus will allow God to do so many more amazing things for the local Bellevue and Nashville campus communities :) !
    .-= lisa gardiner´s last blog ..Letter’s from God =-.

15. I am so excited about the direction(s) that Cross Point is(are) headed in. And the people that have come alongside to lead us.
    .-= Lindsey Nobles´s last blog ..Women of Faith =-.

16. Pete Wilson says:

@Jennifer, we’ve got a few things we’ll be experimenting with. I’m quite confident that I will be speaking “in person” more frequently at other campuses this next year.

17. Pete Wilson says:

@Harold, let’s go south bro. How about Cross Point Destin, Florida?

18. Jennifer says:

So excited about CP Bellevue!! I can’t wait…..

19. Julie says:

Crosspoint Springfield MO would be awesome. LOL So how does it work, Pete? Do they watch you on a screen at the other campuses or does each Pastor preach their own sermons each week? I’ve never gone to a multi campus church before.

I have to say that having attended a church here at one point that had 10,000 people, it was so very easy for me to hide and it was not good for me at all. I love that Cross Point seems so different than most huge churches. I don’t know since I’ve never attended there, but you all seem to have true connections that are missing in even much smaller churches. The sense of community I feel from your church members while reading comments on your blog is something I long for.

20. Michael says:

Pete, love that the Bellevue campus will be opening up. But, referencing your post to Harold, why stop at stop at Destin? How about Cross Point/Cayman Islands campus? I’ll be more than willing to suffer for the Lord and go to the Caymans to help you open that campus. No need for thanks. That’s just the kind of ministry-oriented guy I am.

21. Pete Wilson says:

@Michael, you have a lot of wisdom my friend.

22. Jessica says:

Ok since your branching out to the Caymans would you consider Maryland?? I mean it’s no Cayman Is. or Florida…but we’ve got…well let me think…What do we have?
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..How to Build a House of Prayer… =-.

23. Jessica says:

I thought of something…we have a two-story Target!
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..How to Build a House of Prayer… =-.

24. Lori says:

So excited about all that God is doing through Crosspoint! Love it!
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Parenting and Leadership =-.

25. Helen says:

Good thoughts on why your expanding to four campuses instead of a bigger building.
    .-= Helen´s last blog ..I Am Not as Tough as I Like to Pretend That I am…(Sorry) =-.

26. Marcia Ramirez says:

I’m so excited about the approach CP is taking to included more people in our fellowship!! I’m with Sarah… I’m starting the campaign for Crosspoint EAST!! Donelson/Hermitage area…. 2011 maybe??

27. Kori says:

Hmmmm – how exciting! I have been wanting our family to visit Crosspointe for some time now and this just makes it all the more interesting! I love the heart behind it!

28. jessica says:

@jessica two story target?!?!?!!? that is amazing!!!

I love CP and so excited to help with NORTH ans BELLEVUE!
    .-= jessica´s last blog ..A Great Big Gift =-.

29. So how do you feel about Wisconsin? :)

Praying for your new campus, it’s leaders and the new believers Jesus will use them to reach.

Blessings!
    C~
    .-= Carolynn @ Willow Tree´s last blog ..LPL Greenbay =-.

30. Harold says:

@pete, eskimos need Jesus too. No wait, that’s the Arctic.
    .-= Harold´s last blog ..Isaias Gabriel – Making The Difference in the DR =-.

31. Harold says:

@michael, how about Crosspoint 90210
    .-= Harold´s last blog ..Isaias Gabriel – Making The Difference in the DR =-.

32. Andy Darnell says:

That’s Exciting. God is Good!
    .-= Andy Darnell´s last blog ..Picking the NIV Translation Scab =-.

33. Pete Wilson says:

@Jessica, I’m never going to touch a Target store. My own wife would kill me. :)

34. That last point you made – sooo true! I miss being part of a smaller congregation where I knew pretty much everyone – at least by face and name, and could therefore recognise new folks. And as the church began to grow, the more introverts began to be overlooked and their gifts and talents not used and people who wanted to hide could hide. And it was difficult to notice.

I really believe a key to church is when all parts of the body (1 Corinthians 12) are being used and working together.
    .-= Brunettekoala´s last blog ..Thank you Jesus =-.

35. DisneyCyndi says:

Congrats Pastor Pete and CP Church. So you have some folks lurking around not serving? Please feel free to send them to VA! Bet they can’t hide at WABC! LOL
    .-= DisneyCyndi´s last blog ..Tonight Was A Good Night! =-.

36. Daniel White says:

To answer your question Pete, “what’s that thing that we love just because our spouse loves it.” Well, I really hate watching TV. She could watch TV 24/7 and I could do without a TV in my house, believe it or not. She always believed that I liked watching TV with her cause I never complained, until one day. I guess I really had her fooled, as she always thought I enjoyed it as much as she did.