His Shaping Presence

C.S. Lewis once said…

It is in the process of being worshipped that God communicates His presence to men.

The past few weeks have been full of some of the most incredible worship experiences of my life. Each one has shaped me in a different way showing me a different aspect of God.

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in Calcutta among some of the most poverty stricken kids I’ve ever met when we had a spontaneous moment of worship led by Shaun and Keely.

Last week I was in the Dominican Republic experiencing worship in 4 different languages surrounded by some of the most self-sacrificing pastors from the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

Then on Sunday, Jarrod, who I think is one of the most gifted worship leaders I’ve ever seen, led our Cross Point Nashville campus in amazing worship.

Each moment was…

beautiful

moving

transformational

Maybe this is just a slice of what worship in heaven will be like.

Around The World from Pete Wilson on Vimeo.

19 Responses to “His Shaping Presence”

1. jan owen says:

As a worship pastor, I’ve often thought we have such a limited view of worship, shaped most of all by our preference and culture too perhaps. When we reach heaven I doubt we’ll be concerned about the lights being too dim or bright, the sound being too loud, or that we don’t sing our favorite songs with our favorite leader. When we get to heaven and are in the very presence of Almighty God, we will GET IT. When we GET IT, we no longer sift through all of the above and we simply worship. We are blessed with moments here and there while on this earth where God peels back the “veil” that seperates us from eternity and lets us taste heaven. It might be in a moment of deep community, or a moment where you are amazed by God’s creation (such as on your DR beach morning) or in worshiping in the midst of extreme difficulty, etc. In those moments worship realigns our hearts so we see what truly matters. And it tilts our world upside down.

Now Pete, GO and DO out of what God has revealed to you and the work He’s done in your life! I can’t wait to see what that is.

jan owen’s last blog post..What’s Your Challenge?

2. *~Michelle~* says:

Amen!

Some of my best “convos” with God happen during Praise and Worship at church…..and also when I am belting out some serious worship in my car with it cranked up to 10 (and so thankful God can forgive/overlook my tone-deaf singing unlike my kids or passerbys)

*~Michelle~*’s last blog post..Support Local/Homemade…..and a *GIVEAWAY!*

3. bluegoose says:

This is going to sound so funny, but I found it so moving on Saturday morning to sing our National Anthem with a very full stadium of people at Baylor University’s graduation exercises! My thoughts – if everyone standing there singing the National Anthem would just fully give their hearts to Christ, the world would be such a better place!!! Not to say that many of them have not given their full lives to Christ, just some wear the ‘snobbish’ apparel(?) very well.
    What a blessing, Pete, to have shared so many experiences in such a short time! Thank you for sharing a portion with us!!!

bluegoose’s last blog post..What a Whirlwind!

4. Sarah says:

You’ve been experiencing a slice Heaven on Earth for sure.

Sarah’s last blog post..Rescue Me

5. Helen says:

Very beautiful.

Helen’s last blog post..Three Awesome Teachers

6. Tony York says:

Not even a slice, my friend…. just a crumb.

John who stood there in the midst of what happened on the Mount of Transfiguration, fell down as if dead in a vision of Christ in heaven. I wonder what that kind of awe feels like… especially when the source of that awe reaches out and lifts you up.

You have described some amazing moments of Christian Community… the joy of sharing that spiritual bond between believers. You may have even been moved to awe by what God had been at work doing in those moments.

But I wonder if any of us can truly understand what it means to be struck by awe just by His personhood. The Hebrew word shachah, which is translated to worship in the OT, means to prostrate. I like to think of it in the terms of “Shock-N-Awe”.

Maybe I am not explaining myself very clearly.. but I guess what I am saying is that we sometimes take Christian Fellowship and mistake that for the fullness of worship when if we experienced the full weight of God and His perfect holiness we would crumble and just reflect on Him alone. Our first instincts would probably be more like Isaiah and we would proclaim “Woe is me! I am undone!” Oh, but how sweet would it be in that moment of our ruin when He, in Grace, lays His hand on us and says, “Fear not.”

What would it be like to be emptied out of all of what we want and instead be filled with wonder of who He is?

But you know, I will take as many crumbs as I can get this side of heaven.

Tony York’s last blog post..Constructing Leftover Walls

7. Sometimes you have to loose yourself, in order for you to find God and for God to find you.

@ScottWilliams’s last blog post..Church Diversity Sucks (Reason #2)

8. pete wilson says:

@scottwilliams, you are so right!

9. Lisa Martin says:

“Maybe this is just a slice of what worship in heaven will be like.”

I sure hope so!! Please let it be so.

Lisa Martin’s last blog post..International Justice Mission Benefit

10. Lisa says:

All I can say is, “Wow and thank-you, God!” I cannot wait to see how we are going to be used as a church to change the world…one life at a time.

With thanksgiving and love,

Lisa

Lisa’s last blog post..Wednesday’s Walk with memories of Candyland!

11. pete wilson says:

I can’t either Lisa. Our best days are ahead of us.

pete wilson’s last blog post..His Shaping Presence

12. Harold says:

God has been waking me up early for the past few mornings and it just seems like He wants to spend time with me. I have never had quite this feeling before in my life. It is REALLY awesome. The closeness I feel through that form of worship is amazing. I am so thankful to have a God who wants to spend time with me. It doesn’t matter if I am singing or not. Time with God in any form is to worship Him.

It always seems that when God and I are really working on our relationship that Satan seems to get a little jealous and starts to pick at me some too. He came yesterday and today to really gave me some of his “quality” time as well. Even as I was picking up a couple of things at the grocery last night I was reminded, the clerk rang it up and said oh that’s not good. I said what do you mean? She show me the receipt and the total was $6.66. I told her it was no problem for me, just confirmation that God really loves me and Satan really don’t.

O worship the King, all glorious above,
    O gratefully sing His power and His love;
    Our Shield and Defender, the Ancient of Days,
    Pavilioned in splendor, and girded with praise.

I love the words to that song.

13. gitz says:

So amazing all you’ve seen and been a part of in the last month… I really can’t wait to see what it brings about next.

gitz’s last blog post..Watch Where You Step

14. Maureen says:

most definitely! I can’t wait!!!

Maureen’s last blog post..Imagine

15. Joy says:

I read your blog daily! Each time I read it I always want to see and hear more. Thank you for being so real and sharing your wisdom. You make me want to be closer to God.

16. Nate VZ says:

I think it is important to remember that “music” should not be confused with “worship”. While music is an integral part of worship, many Christians mistake music as worship itself.

In the Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren addresses this in chapter 8. He states…”worship can include these elements (music, ceremony, etc), but worship is far more than these expressions. Worship is a lifestyle.” He goes on to state that we often approach music and “worship” as something that should benefit US. However, all worship is an act meant to benefit God.

With that said, it is clear that Pete gave three incredible international experiences of worship through music.

17. pete wilson says:

@Nate, Very true!!

18. Andy Darnell says:

Not sure about the worship (although I’m sure it is awesome) but I’ve been enjoying the Cross Point Church Audio through Itunes. The Hope series has been great.

Andy Darnell’s last blog post..Now That’s What I Call a Dead Parrot

19. Dr. M Brown says:

Think It Thru is a new Jewish outreach documentary TV show airing on the Inspiration Network, reaching over 80 million homes nationally and over 160 million homes worldwide. Think It Thru features Jewish Apologist Dr. Michael L. Brown, and presents a bold, balanced, revealing, sometimes humorous, and always thought provoking investigation of the history, interest and opinions of Jewish people worldwide. Join the growing number of people that have been impacted by the show by receiving two free episodes of Think It Thru on DVD, “In Search of the Messiah” and “A Bloody Religion?”

Get your two Free DVD’s here: