A Walk In The Dark

Walk in the dark

Years ago I heard Andy Stanley say “Leadership is a walk in the dark.”  So true.

Can I be honest for a minute. I’m so in over my stinking head these days. There are certain days I feel so lost I question my every move. Now don’t read into this. I’m not having a personal breakdown or anything, I just happen to realize I’m in completely uncharted territory. Leadership may be a walk in the dark, but it feels more like a run through a dark forest these days for me.

And I bet I’m not alone. I bet many of you are leading in churches or organizations or families where you’re…

Making decisions you’ve never made before.

Being criticized more frequently than before.

Facing situations you’ve never seen before.

Moving faster than you’ve ever moved before.

Risking more than  you ever have before.

And you’re doing all of this in the dark. Welcome to leadership. It takes a tremendous amount of courage. Here’s two things God’s placed on my heart lately as I walk in the dark.

1) The dark is a lot more bearable when you’re with a team.

Someone once told me leadership is extremely lonely. I understand their point, but I don’t think it has to be as lonely as we make it out to be sometimes. I was reminded this past weekend at our Cross Point annual board and elder leadership retreat how blessed I am to be able to lock arms with a group of leaders who want to walk into the darkness of the future with me. The dark can still be scary, but I have more courage moving forward with a team.

2) Learn to appreciate the darkness.

If it wasn’t dark you wouldn’t be needed. If the future of your church or organization was well lit they wouldn’t need to follow you. They would just go there. The darkness is why you have a job.

Can anyone else identify with this?

69 Responses to “A Walk In The Dark”

1. Michelle says:

Currently walking through the dark, new woods of a new student leadership team. As many times in student ministries I wonder where is this going and why and I here? But yes if it wasn’t for the darkness we wouldn’t be needed, Christ wouldn’t be needed.

Michelle’s last blog post..Love

2. Beth Taylor says:

Yep, I can identify. That is why my husband and I are not pastoring right now. Sometimes ambushes happen in the dark or the stress of the darkness gets to you and, if you don’t take time along the way to process it, you reach burnout. Right where we are. But we will be back and we are not afraid of the dark…we just needed some time to heal under the shadow of His wing. And I love that kind of darkness. :)

Beth Taylor’s last blog post..The Extravagance of Compassion

3. Kayla Grace says:

Kayla Grace’s last blog post..springfield

4. I struggle tremendously with appreciating the darkness … I think this is wildly important & a great reminder – thanks Pete.

ronnie lowenfield’s last blog post..The Maticals

5. I think of Oswald Chamber’s perspective that the darkness is what grows you. This is what is interesting about having a “desert experience” when everything is stripped away and you truly learn what is really important.

chaplainandrews’s last blog post..Sunday Afternoon

6. *~Michelle~* says:

I love this:
    “If it wasn’t dark you wouldn’t be needed”

Continue to trust and be the light.

We have this pastor who visits my church often and he talked about what being in leadership has taught him. making this long story short (if that is possible with me)…It was about how at one time, during a service, a woman in his church publicly called him out on one of the decisions he had made in regards to an event the church was planning. (I am not sure of the exact statement, something to do with being self-rewarding)
    Anwyay, this event was something that he felt God had placed in his heart to set out to accomplish. Her words were hurtful and embarrassing and his first reaction was to cancel it all.

As you can imagine, he was very hurt and confused. He got paranoid and started second guessing himself. Over the next few days, he did alot of praying and thinking about what the woman had said. He asked God for wisdom and guidance in this situation. He told him it was going to be difficult to press forward as planned after the allegations of this woman.

He said that God whispered to him “Are you doing this for them, or for Me?”

Not sure if this is hitting home, but I am sure you are faced with making decisions that you know won’t be received well by everyone, everytime. Just keep trusting in what is in your heart.

Peace~
    *~Michelle~*

*~Michelle~*’s last blog post..my 100th post……it’s giveaway time!!!

7. Gina says:

I think it just feels unnatural.
    It certainly feels lonely.
    I like the photo of the forest you posted…there is unmistakable light on the other side of the trees. I will cling to that.

8. Suzanne says:

Wow. Yes! This new music ministry is proving to be a lot more challenging than I thought. Last week I felt the need to hibernate from people because it seems I was unintentionally hurting them! I have spent the last week praying that the Lord will lead me, ’cause apparently, I’m clueless!

Suzanne’s last blog post..Not Me Monday!

9. Linnae Hoppe says:

um….. YES! This new job is putting me into more leadership day by day. I just have to trust and believe God will lead me in the right way as I depend on Him. Totally scary and so thrilling all at the same time. Lord, help us lead with sincerity and integrity every step of the way as we walk with You and dream BIG for the kingdom!

Linnae Hoppe’s last blog post..Choosing To Believe

10. Nick says:

Yeah I can identify with you!
    And recently my path has gotten substantially darker, and for some reason I’m having a hard time finding the night vision goggles! :)

On your second point though about appreciating the darkness, I am getting a journal so I can remember what I am learning in the dark, so the next time I can be aware of the areas where I tripped up, but also so I can remember the good things that have come out of the journey.

Nick’s last blog post..One in Fifty US Children Homeless

11. Sarah says:

Every day of my life (well the last 8 months)!

Sarah’s last blog post..“Not Me” Monday

12. mooney says:

Yeah. I just remember that David described God’s leading him as a lamp to his feet and not high-beams down the interstate. I think sometimes if we know where we’re going, we try to take some shortcuts because, “we know the way.” It’s best for Him to keep me in the dark.

mooney’s last blog post..Wake me up!

13. Jeff Honnold says:

I can so identify with this! I just took a position on staff at a local church and the amount of work ahead of me can be overwhelmingly dark.

Your point about teams is spot on – that is one of my first prioirites as I start this journey. I hope to put together teams of people that are willing to walk through the dark with me.

When we bring our individual lights together we can see so much more clearly in the dark than if we try and do it alone.

Jeff Honnold’s last blog post..What happens when the dog catches the car

14. kc says:

10 Who among you fears the LORD
    and obeys the word of his servant?
    Let him who walks in the dark,
    who has no light,
    trust in the name of the LORD
    and rely on his God.

11 But now, all you who light fires
    and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
    go, walk in the light of your fires
    and of the torches you have set ablaze.
    This is what you shall receive from my hand:
    You will lie down in torment.

Isaiah 50:10-11

Don’t get your light confused with His light!

kc’s last blog post..Quote of the Day

15. Melinda says:

kc and I both went to Isaiah for a response:

Isaiah 42:16 (New International Version)

16 I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
    along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
    I will turn the darkness into light before them
    and make the rough places smooth.
    These are the things I will do;
    I will not forsake them.

Melinda’s last blog post..Sustainablity and the Church

16. Jenni Catron says:

Yes, as you know I totally relate to this. It’s funny how sometimes I need to be reminded that it’s not necessarily supposed to be easy to be a leader. Why am I always so surprised?

Jenni Catron’s last blog post..A Beautiful Word

17. Pete Wilson says:

@KC and Melinda, True that. I’m so thankful for God’s wisdom and His Word. Can you imagine leadership without them?

18. Brett says:

Funny (not haha funny) how the 2 biggest leadership dilemmas are navigating the darkness and at the same time avoiding being blinded by your own light.

Brett’s last blog post..Culture and the Church

19. Paula says:

I may not be a leader in ministry, but in business, it’s absolutely dark when being a leader as well! Very lonely, too – my “team” is amazing and creating a 2nd team of others in my position has helped quite a bit as well.

20. All I know is that if I’ve got to take a walk in the dark…there’s nobody that I’d rather do it with than you and this team.

Sorry if that came across as cheezy…it wasn’t meant to be.

Blake Bergstrom’s last blog post..praying for a house and wrestling with God..

21. Heidi says:

This was awesome.

Can I relate? oh yes…

In my business level, parenting, mentoring, and ministry.

Heidi’s last blog post..Commune

22. Absolutely Pete. I have felt this many years. One challenge for me as I get older is to continue to place myself in these situations, because honestly many of the things I face I could respond with “been there and done that”, especially if I lead completely out of my comfort zone. It is said that towards our mid-thirties we start to act more out of experience than out of acquiring knowledge. I don’t want that to define me. I want to continue to experience leadership in the darkness. (Getting to do that lately!)

Ron Edmondson’s last blog post..Are You Missing The Best God Has To Offer?

23. joseph says:

I can totally identify with this Pete.

Being self employed, I often run in the dark all the time hoping not to hit my shins on the coffee table if you would.

The challenge is to remain positive for me…I hate being negative but it gets to a point at times that it is virtually unbearable. Sales are down, no commission coming in..yada yada yada.

I do find when I use the gifts God has given me, remain positive, and work hard, the darkness is much easier to navigate through.

joseph’s last blog post..everyday luxury

24. Jan Connair says:

I don’t hold a leadership position in the same sense you do. But I do struggle to lead my 5 kids in the right direction! No manual came with Ryan, Sean, Allie, Molly, or Danny, and there are many days it’s a total walk in the dark.

Thank God my husband and I strive to be a team on this. If we weren’t here to balance each other out and talk each other down sometimes . . . (shudder).

Jan Connair’s last blog post..How I Met My Husband

25. Sailor Scott says:

“I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.”
    Isaiah 45:3

26. Patty says:

Oh yeah…we’re in the midst of darkness in my hometown right now. Three years ago we got assigned a new pastor, which we share with a neighboring town. Two years ago he closed the small church on Main Street, so that people were left to watching mass on TV monitors in our other church, Saint James basement (the mass hall seats 250 parishioners.) Last week we found out that the bishop of MA now wants to close down our only remaining catholic church in town, and merge us with a struggling church in another town. We have money in the bank, we’re paying our bills, and saving to build a new larger church, but we’re being closed down and forced to merge with another church that is all but bankrupt to save it from closing. It’s the Christian thing to do, but it doesn’t make the move any easier. We lost a lot of parishioners to other towns and churches 2 years ago when they closed Sacred-Heart Church. Today, there are 700 registered members left in our parish, and I am so afraid that this will be the end of OUR church community. So darkness…yeah, we’re there. I’ll pray for all of you, and maybe you can pray for us.

27. ash says:

This makes me think of a line from an old David Wilcox song that says, “If you gave me a vision, I would never have reason to use my faith.” The darkness is a great catalyst for faith-building.

ash’s last blog post..ashwarren: I have Sandi Patty’s "The Gift Goes On" (yes, the one from 1983) in my head. Those of you who know, go ahead and laugh!

28. Jessica says:

I’m in a crazy spot with this! I don’t know a lot of people who do what I do and try to use my faith to lead me!

29. Tony York says:

Yeah.. I get this… not so much the loneliness but the criticism factor. Its a good reminder to me to be careful of how I voice my thoughts towards another.

Oswald Chamber’s devotion contains a message that I have inscribed in my mind. It comes from October 1 and it is about those mountains and valleys that we find ourselves in. He basically says that we were not made for the mountain top. God gives us those moments so that we can bring what we have experienced there to those who live in the valley below.

It can be very dark in the valley but God is good in that He blesses us so that we can bless those that we bump into while we are walking in the dark. While we may be experiencing the same darkness we are never lost because there is a source of light that we can always trust to guide us.

I like to think that we can visit the mountain top any time we like… we just have to have the desire and will to make that hike. And then the character to return and bless others.

Tony York’s last blog post..Girl, you’ll be a woman soon

30. Pete Wilson says:

@Tony York, I love “And then the character to return to bless others”. Wow! That’s the hard part.

31. Moving faster than you’ve ever moved before.

Bingo. And it is getting really hard to deal with.

Andy Borgmann’s last blog post..When Life Throws A Punch…

32. Jody says:

“A leader’s job is to look into the future and see the organization, not as it is, but as it should be.”
    – Jack Welch

33. adam says:

Pete,

I can completely agree. I am directly in charge of 20 or so sailors and every day there is a new challenge.

All you can really do, is go with what God has given you by way of wisdom and gifts and have faith.

You will mess up sometimes. Trust me.

But in all of it, you will come out of the dark whether you got it right or wrong.

34. Maureen says:

Absolutely!!!! Great insight on the darkness :)

Maureen’s last blog post..Mediterranean Monday: Purim

35. katdish says:

Some more quotes for you today:

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experiences of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired and success achieved.” – Helen Keller

“When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off easily in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

“It is within my power either to serve God or not to serve him. Serving him, I add to my own good and the good of the whole world. Not serving him, I forfeit my own good and deprive the world of that good, which was in my power to create.” – Leo Tolstoy

“With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity.” – Keshavan Nair

“God hasn’t called me to be successful. He has called me to be faithful.” – Mother Teresa

36. Pete Wilson says:

@Jody, great quote!

37. I’m absolutely right there Pete. Uncharted territory…yet I know others who’ve gone before me and are right there with me. That is why I try to stay connected with people a little further down the road, people alongside me on the road, and people a little further back on the road.
    I’d so rather be where I’m not in control however!

Steve Whipple’s last blog post..Pray for this church and family

38. I totally agree. I think the hardest part of all of it is not to let yourself fall into the darkness, but rather cling to the light you still have.

The constant light is obviously God and His Word, but often I find that he will give us a little light, just for a second that might make the forest not so dark. Whether it is an encouraging word, a victory in a ministry endevour, and just a reminder of the new and fervant mercies and grace of God each day…He is faithful to light our path, and allow us to walk through the “dark forest” as we follow Him.

Good word Pete. Thanks for walking through the dark forest and letting God be your light.

matt macdonald’s last blog post..Domain is Up!

39. Harold says:

Church leadership is where we must rely on God to be the “lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path”.

Maybe the darkness is the tool God uses to build our faith in Him and not in ourselves.

40. stephanie says:

This was interesting, thanks.

41. Randi :) says:

I’m pretty sure God made it clear that the path would NOT be totally flood-light lit…. but instead lit from a lamp — able to see only just the steps right in front of us.

I think He has many reasons for not allowing us to see everything in the future. It makes us rely on Him. It builds trust. Builds our faith. Without any doubt — would there be any need for faith?

AND if we saw everything in the future – we’d rush to try to get there if it was great… and run away in fear if it was bad….

He desires us to just take it day by day. Not to worry about tomorrow.

He wants us to turn to THE Light and let Him lead.

:) prayers for you

Randi :)’s last blog post..Self-Idolatry; God’s Grace; The Body

42. Randi :) says:

p.s. be encouraged! you’re a great leader! keep on running to Him and that’s the best thing you can do. When you show people that you are relying on Him — you will teach them to rely on Him. and that’s the goal, right? :)

Randi :)’s last blog post..Self-Idolatry; God’s Grace; The Body

43. Yeah, we had not a clue what we were getting into when we moved here. We just thought, “oh, God called us here, ready? Go!” Um, darkness? Everywhere. But thank you for this encouragement…seriously, thank you for again the reminder that we aren’t alone in this plight. It sure feels like it sometimes though.

44. danp says:

Hey Pete, great point… today I was made aware of some folks who choose to live in the dark and refuse to follow. I was wondering why and realized, as leaders, we must nurture an environment where our leadership can be trusted, whereby, even though some may hesitate, will still trust and go where we go. There is strength in numbers and if someone will not be willing to follow one perhaps they’ll be willing to follow many.

danp’s last blog post..The Heavenly REALm

45. Mel says:

Pete what an awesome post and one I so needed to read today!!

Mel’s last blog post..Just Not Right

46. Pete Wilson says:

@kristiapplesauce, I can see how in your particular situation “feeling alone” could be a major problem. That’s why I pray for you so often!!

47. Darkness is a funny thing.
    On one hand you can feel alone and unsure and I the other you can feel great freedom knowing that the Lord is doing a mighty work in your life and ministry(whatever that may be).
    One of my all time favorite quotes that I constantly remind myself is this “don’t doubt in the dark what you knew in the light”. Rick Warren

Sometime darkness brings clarity and other times in only brings grief… Praying that we all seek the one we serve with great conviction and not loose heart.
    April

48. Kristen says:

I needed to hear this today. I’m definitely forging ahead into some dark areas lately. It is great to know others in leadership feel the same way. And that we can rally around and encourage one another.

Having a team really does lessen the burden. For sure. But I also understand feeling that being in a leadership position can be a bit lonely. There are times where I feel like that too.

Appreciating the darkness is something I’m going to focus on. Never thought about it that way before!

49. Scot Justice says:

On Friday afternoon, I needed to read the story of Gideon. One of the lessons I like in Gideon’s story is that one man’s step in faith can cause others to have the courage and step out as well (even if it’s tipping a golden cow in the middle of the night). Scot

50. gitz says:

it’s funny how people with such different lives can still relate. i’m not in leadership and don’t relate to that on any level, really (although I can imagine and empathize with you).

But what you said about “learning to appreciate the darkness” I’ve been telling myself a lot lately. I’m experiencing a lot more aloneness and darkness with my disease throwing more limitations at me, and I’m reminding myself that if God couldn’t make something beautiful in the dark parts He would have taken me out of them already. I’m trying to appreciate where I am so I can do what He needs. Whatever that is.

gitz’s last blog post..I Got The Homebound Blues…

51. Randy Wood says:

Yep, been there… still there… Grace is …. Amazing Thanks Pete

Randy Wood’s last blog post..That’s too many numbers!!!!!

52. Jeff Loring says:

Hey Pete, Hebrews 12:1 says “therefore since we are surrounded be such a great cloud of witnesses…let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us”
    I am convinced you can not do healthy, effective ministry without a “cloud of witnesses” surrounding you. Thank God you have a great “cloud of witnesses”. You guy’s are doing a great job of bringing light to the valley.

53. Joseph says:

Pete: Coming to the site after some time. You got a very pleasing design. Smart thought to list the latest blog post of the commenter.

People like you choose to go through darkness so as to dispel it from others. Didn’t your master do it too? It isn’t easy; but it is essential.

Joseph’s last blog post..What is your learning model?

54. Brenda says:

Thank you… I really needed to hear this today. Recently I was asked to help at my church women’s bible study in a leadership position (starting tomorrow, gulp). Not to teach anything, but just to facilitate the homework discussion in a small group. I’m excited for the opportunity to serve, but at the same time, doubts and fears are creeping in. First of all the homework will be very challenging, but the bigger problem is that I don’t see myself as a leader. Behind the scenes is more my style. But I’m trusting that God will help me to do a good job in whatever he asks me to do.

Brenda’s last blog post..Took a hike

55. Mark Penrith says:

Hi Pete,

I wrote a review on your blog at http://markpenrith.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/top-5-blogs-i-followed-in-february/, but I’m not 100% sure how to contact you to ask you to verify that you’re happy with everything I said and that it’s accurate.

In Christ,

Mark

Mark Penrith’s last blog post..Top 5 blogs I followed in February

56. Abbie says:

Yes! We are there. But still walking even if sitting down or sleeping or going back sounds easier. Good to read this.

Abbie’s last blog post..Katie-bug

57. Becca Clark says:

Pete, I can so identify with your post! I definitely think that the darkness is more bearable with a team– with lots of teams! Prayer teams, clergy teams, lay teams, non-church I just need friends to play with and support me teams! I was moved when I learned that Mother Teresa walked in the darkness and came to love it in many ways. That spoke to me of faithfulness in a spiritual giant, and that maybe my own fears about the darkness and difficulty of ministry were not so bizarre.

As always, thanks for you honesty and keeping it real!

Blessings,
    Becca

Becca Clark’s last blog post..Affordable for who?

58. Kristie says:

Wow…saw your blog advertised on my friends blog. My hubby & I just started college age ministry over a month ago. We’ve been in this church for years and have known many of the college kids since they were almost born. We have 2 other couples as our team members…and I’m so thankful. We have a wonderful pastor staff which I am close to. One of our co-leaders seems to have a different vision than mine and my husbands and has not been shy to express her constructive criticism to me in a very blunt way. It has been challenging to say the least. I expected some challenges, but not from my supporting team members:( I’m pressing through and praying about not only how to love and lead these young adults…but how to love and lead our other team members. Reading this portion of your blog spoke so much to my heart and I am going to bring this portion with me to our next leadership meeting. I can’t wait to pour out my heart vulnerably to these wonderful people who are choosing to grow with me. I’m trusting the holy spirit to bring healing, humility, and unity in all of us as I share my humble heart of not knowing what the heck I’m doing…that it is walking in the dark of the unknown…and how much I need them to go there with me, encouraging one another…not criticizing…but lifting one another up..cuz we all have the same purpose of loving the young adults,and encouraging them in their walks with Jesus. We just have some different ideas on how to get there…but I’m excited to bring before them the word of walking in the dark together, hand in hand …with love, unity and trust. That is all I want. Thank you for that word of wisdom!

59. Randi :) says:

@Kristie — I am soo with you girl. Group members (friendly fire) can be so destructive!! I’m right there with you and I think it’s so smart to bring up your heart to the leaders with you. The devil’s best tool is to use people on the same team against each other! He wants us to hold it inside and let it eat away at us and cause doubt…. BUT when we bring it out into the open, I truly believe in a group unified in Him, God will work in each heart to allow humility & remind us we need each other to love on and encourage each other. When we re-focus back on Him… He helps us take our eyes off of ourself and helps us find the best in each other and encourage it out. The group will unify again. I have faith God will heal those relationships — many times we’re just too wrapped up in ourselves so don’t raelize how much others around us need encouragement. We just went through this same thing recently with our team – yet GOd was faithful to take care of our unity in Him when we all re-focused on Him and took our eyes off ourselves. :) man it’s soo easy to not even realize that we each come with our own insecurities and even the most confident leader needs has doubts & needs encouragement….. how quickly we lose our basic, biblical people skills when we become self focused. Skills like never condemning, criticizing or complaining…. but instead loving, accepting, being patient, listening. I’m praying for you all. Be encouraged!! Healing will come! The devil has no power in our minds & hearts when our minds & hearts are focused on HIM! :)

Randi :)’s last blog post..Self-Idolatry; God’s Grace; The Body

60. Kristie says:

Randi…oh thank you brother for your words of encouragement. I am just so amazed at the Lord…he has seen the ache in my heart and the desperateness to see our situation worked out and I am truly encouraged that you took the time to lift up a complete stranger. It’s a cup of water to my soul. Sounds truly like you went through it too. At first I was angry and slightly bitter (because this is all totally new for me and I did not expect all this)…but I havn’t said anything to my co-leader..I just took the criticism and I’m working it out with the Lord (and some wise counsel) and He is directing me…and softening me. I feel like all anger and bitterness is gone and that He is in control:) You are so right in all you said and I was honored to read it. Thank you:) I just hope I can get us all together sooner than later as one of the leaders is having a baby any day!! God knows:) I want to fight the fire with humility, love, grace, and mercy…I want to grow and change through all of this. Bless you!

61. Randi :) says:

@Kristie..

I’m a SISTER! :) not a brother lol. totally cool though, it happens.

I’m new to all the “church leadership” stuff too.. so it’s been hard to adjust to seeing some of the realities of the behind the scenes stuff…. but there’s so much more good than bad! :) It just re-assures me that we are not extraordinary people and that’s it’s totally God’s work through us imperfect ordinary sinners simpy desiring to chase Him and be part of His pure Bride.

May God bless you and may the other leaders see your heart that is passionate about being unified in Him. :)

p.s. that’s so awesome He was able to help you turn from that anger & bitterness so quickly by the way! you took captive those thoughts and gave them to Him! what an awesome God….helping us totally turn from that sin nature when it arises! :)

Randi :)’s last blog post..Self-Idolatry; God’s Grace; The Body

62. brandi says:

yes.yes.yes.
    most days i feel like student ministry is more like running blindfolded in the dark through a war zone.

a unified team is so so so absolutely invaluable.

brandi’s last blog post..one.

63. Pete Wilson says:

@Kristie, I’m praying for you this morning and what you feel God is calling you to. I know it’ a long road ahead just keep your eyes on Him.

64. Kristie says:

Goodness…sorry Randi..my SISTER..LOL! I think I blushed a little on this side of the computer…but thank you for laughing with me about that:) I’ve always respected and loved my pastors…but now I see them in a new light. I am learning so much…so quickly..but realizing there is so much more to grow and learn. My husband encouraged me too and reminded me that whenever there were people in the bible (Abraham, disciples for example..and even Jesus) moving forward in ministry or to the next phase God had for them, there was testing! He said…keep going Kristie, pass the test, don’t give up, there will be breakthrough and victory, and lives touched by persevering. Thank you again for encouraging and inspiring me with your kind words from the Fathers heart. Thank you Brandi. And thank you for praying for me Pete, that touched my heart:) I will keep my eyes on Him! I will pray for you all today as well..God is SOOO GOOD!

65. Ariel says:

@ Pete – I’m definitely walking in the dark. I’m a fresh college graduate, 23 year old, and have been given the privilege/responsibility of leading our church of nearly 1,000 into becoming a multi-site church by launching an off-site campus on the other side of the city, using video teaching not from our lead pastor, but from others like Craig Groeschel and Andy Stanley.

Oh and where God has led us to do this, it’s the most culturally diverse section of the city, it’s very transient because it’s mostly military people due to the Army base over there, and it’s the hardest spiritual ground in the city (once part of that side of the city is called the Devil’s Triangle).

So yeah …it’s a little dark. But I’m glad that as we walk along, I’m not the only one with a flashlight, but I’m on an incredible staff team walking alongside me with their flashlights, and a team looking to me who have their flashlights on too. =)

@ KC and Melinda and Sailor – Thanks for the Scriptures. My eyes welled with tears as I read them.

Ariel’s last blog post..Friday Five – Thoughts from the week

66. Pete Wilson says:

@Ariel, Where God calls He always provides. I don’t think it’s by accident that you are taking on the leadership task you are.

I’m proud of you stepping out and will be praying for you like crazy. Please let me know if I can ever do anything for you!

67. Kristie says:

@Pete & Randi
    Hi, Kristie here…who left earlier an comment. I just wanted to update you about the situation I was dealing with (refering to what I wrote in my comment on 3/11). God totally worked it out..HIS way. Today at church I saw my friend and talked with her for a while. I then mentioned about a meeting I wanted to hold and if she could make it (cuz she is about to give birth any day). She didn’t think she could but I just briefly shared my heart and what I wanted to talk about and lay my heart out to them…how insecure and awkward I have felt as a leader, but how happy I am to have them with me. It’s hard to reiterate in a few sentences what I said…but I never pointed fingers or even mentioned the things she had said that cut me. I forgave her about that and didn’t want to make her feel cornered. But I told her that I wanted us to come together and talk about our vision and pray that God would help all of us to melt together in more unity, cuz we all have great hearts and want to touch the young people…we just need God’s direction and to come together. Then she just began to apologize on her own about anything she’s said and that if she is getting out of alignment in any way, that I can share with her–cuz she know she has a strong personality. She went on and on and I almost cried. It’s hard to say everything that transpired, but I think we both just poured out our hearts in a Godly way that lifted eachother up and brought healing…without even having our meeting yet. I waited on the Lord and took all my pain and anger and discouragement to Him…and he worked on ME…then worked it OUT! What a testimony to me of how faithful God is and I am reasured once again that we can come together as leaders and share without tearing eachother down and work out our differences!! Thank you so much for praying…I feel a new beginning happening:) I’m all smiles!!!

68. Randi :) says:

@kristie. amen! That is beautiful. He is the great healer. very powerful :) soak it up.

Randi :)’s last blog post..Edification as Worship

69. Pete Wilson says:

@Kristie, I love it when God does stuff like that! Wow!